GEN 2 MPT/NGauge problem... Anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gregger

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I flashed the stock file back to my truck so the dealer could fix a 360 camera issue. Apparently they have to access the PCM to do it. None of their methods worked. They all time out and/or fail due to "encryption".

MPT says this shouldn't happen. Anyone have a similar issue? Dealer knows my truck is tuned. The service manager is super mod-friendly so the discussion trouble shooting this has been open and honest.

Help?

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Had a similar issue with mine recently. Turns out that my stock file I had saved on my computer was corrupted. I think it happened because I changed the file name slightly, and changed it back later. I emailed MPT and they sent me a copy of my stock file and it cleared it all up. Their product support is clearly above all the other aftermarket tuners, with the single exception of Cobb Tuning.

I recommend you ask them for another copy of your stock file.

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think it is the MPT tune issue. It must be the nGauge. I had an issue with my nGauge as well. Custom tune with my nGauge, needed to have the PCM reflashed due to a blind spot sensor going out. Tried to return the truck to stock and had the error message saying the stock file was not found/ corrupt. We ended up having to reflash to stock at the dealership and now having to completely reprogram my truck since it does not run with the stock tune. Ended up getting another tuner to hold and load my files. Will be using the nGauge to monitor only from here on out.

Are you guys also having issues with your nGauge cycling power on/off. Mine started doing this a couple of months ago, seems to be a common issue from everyone we have spoken with.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think it is the MPT tune issue. It must be the nGauge. I had an issue with my nGauge as well. Custom tune with my nGauge, needed to have the PCM reflashed due to a blind spot sensor going out. Tried to return the truck to stock and had the error message saying the stock file was not found/ corrupt. We ended up having to reflash to stock at the dealership and now having to completely reprogram my truck since it does not run with the stock tune. Ended up getting another tuner to hold and load my files. Will be using the nGauge to monitor only from here on out.

Are you guys also having issues with your nGauge cycling power on/off. Mine started doing this a couple of months ago, seems to be a common issue from everyone we have spoken with.

I had the power cycling issue. Sent it back to 5 star, they tested it and found no issues, tossed it un protected in a box and shipped it back to me. It still did it, I complained again, took video of it doing it and sent it back a second time and the brand new one they sent me no longer has the issue.

The touch screen calibration has always been pretty ****** on both though.

mad man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SCT X4 and bully dog device are the only one that stores you stock tune on the device that I know of. You can then also make a copy to your home computer. If You’re hand held device screws up Or gets compromised you can send your stock file from your computer to SCT and they will install it into a new or refurbished handheld device for you.

OP
OP
Gregger

Gregger

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ngauge will keep your stock tune on the device for easy flashing. I had to download it and send to MPT to get the original tunes. They sent it back.

The funny thing in all of this is that I've flashed back to stock for a transmission update from ford with no issue. This time, flashed back to stock, and they can't access the truck at all. It's driving me ******* nuts.

cao0215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like i have the same problem. when going to the dealer, they can't read my PCM when i flash back to stock to dealer, so how to solve it? Ask MPT to send me another copy of stock file to load?

mad man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you’re worried about going back to stock tune like I am then the only tune or device that I’ve found that actually keeps your original factory stock tune is the SCT device or bully dog you’ll have to deal with those tuners that are compatible with those devices good luck

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like i have the same problem. when going to the dealer, they can't read my PCM when i flash back to stock to dealer, so how to solve it? Ask MPT to send me another copy of stock file to load?

After you load a stock tune, does it show Ford part numbers for TCM and ECM modules?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cao0215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After you load a stock tune, does it show Ford part numbers for TCM and ECM modules?

No, i tried to use wifi ELF and ios to connect and get the msg below.

cbf17aa66c5e5b0f08cb661ea17f6d48.jpg