Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Mounting 2013 Ford factory beadlocks.

Discussion in '2013 Ford SVT Raptor Forum (Reply Only)' started by RAPTORSV, Mar 13, 2013.

1. jrodrg

jrodrg Full Access Member

That makestwo of us. Didn't think it was this involved...

2. WyoStorm

WyoStorm FRF Addict

To convert the beadlocks to true beadlocks, you must remount them with the outer part of the tire on the outside of the wheel and then the true bead lock rings with 24 bolts hold the outer bead on.

3. WyoStorm

WyoStorm FRF Addict

You can research beadlocks until you're blue in the face. Not DOT approved, for off-road use only, blah blah blah. They are not illegal for on road use. Everyone has to do their own research and decide which way to go. No it's not practical nor would anyone take their beadlock capable wheels and then drive to their off-road area of choice, take all their tires off, let all the air out, remount them with the outer bead on the outside of the wheel and then put the beadlock ring on them and torque them all up (all 96! 24 for each wheel). No one is going to do that. The Ford wheel is one of a kind. No one else makes a beadlock wheel that can be both a regular wheel and a true beadlock. I'm opting to convert mine (rings in hand already) and have fun off-road!

4. Labraptor

Labraptor FRF Addict

The tech on the factory beadlocks is pretty cool. On the SVT tour they were explaining how these were desi
    gned specifically to work with the stock tires. I agree with Wyo on this issue, everybody can make up their own mind. Not illegal, just not DOT approved.
    For an expert opinion we must summon Netix. He runs American made beadlocks. He also tests the heck out of them for the benefit of the rest of us. Ok, maybe he is just having a good time but, he can share first hand knowledge. I only have opinions.
    Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

5. gallopingford

gallopingford Member

I saw this video a couple days ago. I knew that installing the beadlock upfitter rings required taking stuff apart, but I never knew that they are not DOT approved.

6. WyoStorm

WyoStorm FRF Addict

The great thing about the Ford Raptor Bead-Lock Capable wheels is that you can choose to never convert them (they're an awesome looking wheel by themselves), convert them from day 1, convert them down the road, convert them for a certain outing or any combination thereof. Yes, you have to buy the bead-lock rings (mine were $499 shipped to my door). Yes, you have to remount them and do all that but it's just a matter of time not money. The wheel can do both!

7. Mjolnir

Mjolnir FRF Addict

Excuse my naked ignorance here, but why can't you drive them on the street? They can take the same PSI, I understand the DOT approved part (not tested, lawyer stuff, blah blah blah), but short of having to recheck torque ranges every so often, is there any other reason why they aren't safe?

8. Netix

Netix Banned

Absolutely no negative things about quality beadlocks

9. WyoStorm

WyoStorm FRF Addict

None I'm aware of.

10. Mjolnir

Mjolnir FRF Addict

ahh, okay. thanks