Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Motorcraft transfer case fluid

Discussion in 'Ford SVT Raptor General Discussions [GEN 1]' started by Remoat, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Remoat

Remoat FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

Is this stuff hard to find and pricey or am I just having personal issues? And can XL-12 be replaced with any other fluid? I saw some stuff...

2. RDFTS

RDFTS aka Rick Supporting Member

Ford changed it to use ATF. I just changed mine and used AMSOIL Signature Series ATF.

3. Marcus85

Marcus85 Full Access Member

Mercon is expensive stuff, I recently had to pick up 2 cases.

4. allinon72

allinon72 Full Access Member

Went to dealer with Motorcraft Transfer Case Fluid, XL12, and the guy showed me in the computer where Ford has listed a replacement part number, which is Mercon LV.

5. tplee

tplee Full Access Member

Started a thread on that the other day. XL-12 is replaced with MERCON LV. All of the chain drive T-cases used a type of ATF since the early 80s, as far as I can tell.

I've seen a Valvoline product that says it meets or exceeds MERCON LV specs. I went to the dealer and bought the OEM stuff. It's stupid expensive. I won't do that again. One of the other members posted up an Amsoil product that meets or exceeds MERCON LV specs... It's in a convenient bag type pouch.... Will probably go with that in another four or five years when it's time to change my transfer case fluid again.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

RDFTS likes this.
  6. alex zopp

alex zopp Member

now you have to use mercon lv

7. RaptorSS

RaptorSS Member

here is what I use. no issues,
    upload_2020-3-30_16-51-56.png

8. Riddick

Riddick Full Access Member

Did/do you use the signature series fuel-efficient synthetic automatic transmission fluid? They have free shipping going on right now and wanted to take advantage.

9. RDFTS

RDFTS aka Rick Supporting Member

Yes. We sell AMSOIL. :)

10. SurfRaptor

SurfRaptor Member

You can use any brand as long as it meets the spec for the vehicle and the numbers match up. That would honestly just be to prove that a warranty should be kept in check and for your peace of mind. Will it make a difference especially on an 80k truck? People will debate that all day long on these message boards. On my older wrangler, I've changed the transfer case fluid every 30k for 12 years now and on other vehicles I've done them for the first time at like 120k. They all take ATF+4 and it always comes out bright red and not fried from the transfer case. It's pretty tough to burn up transfer case fluid, never the less it's a super easy job and not expensive if you develop your fluid system. For example on my chrysler vehicles I know if I want the Mopar brand I can get them cheap off Walmart.com for ATF +4 and Motor Oil. Diff Fluid is cheapest for me at AutoZone and Coolant is cheapest for me on Rock Auto.

Find your cheapest best price on fluids and stock up one time on them for your general maintenance if you plan on doing it yourself.