Motor died while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GooseTuned

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Seized motors do happen . Crap just happens. Could of been an oil supply issue or a rod let go . Piston broke. Until they identify root cause. When this happened how long had engine been running? Was it fully warmed up? Were you just slowing driving in a blizzard? How was your oil level? Were you hearing any noises?

As far as tune don't ask don't tell. Was tune only mod on truck? Unless tune was causing detonation you could hammer out your bearings or break stuff.. Which I highly doubt cobb and goose tunes have all the safety stuff enabled . Tune did add probably 4 psi more boost than stock which is more load. I assume driving normally in a snowstorm I doubt you were in heavy boost.

I'm not a fan of variable pressure oil pump driving 80+ mph at 2000 rpm and 23 psi oil pressure. I don't know Seems low. Then when you come stop it goes to 30 psi idling in drive. Then under load its 70psi or more. Ford engineered that for themselves CAFE standards increase fuel mileage over the fleet. Guess I'm just old school like to see oil pressure being consistent. I have been running motorcraft 5w30 synthetic and filter . Dealer serviced every 2500miles . But I think after watching banks power videos on oil on youtube . I'm going to step up the quality of oil and go to one step higher 5w40 like I ran in my 14 ecoboost tremor.

Hoping it was better news like it was just a bad starter or bad ground cable .

This is very true. Crap does just happen, sometimes. And it sucks.

I want to add a couple things though:

1. He wasn't running my tune, and..
2. This would've happened with a tune installed or not.

There was an underlying issue here in this case. I asked the OP to check his oil level. Waiting to hear back

Could also be numerous other issues that will just have to wait until the teardown happens. Bad fuel? (this is out of everyones control). Maybe he has a cracked/faulty oil pickup? Or maybe he actually has low oil? Could be a bad oil pump? We don't know at this point. What we do know is that a soft off the shelf tune won't break the truck, that this was going to happen without a tune. It does suck, for sure. It looks like Ford may help in this case.

OP
OP
S

slimwhitman

Reaction score
This is very true. Crap does just happen, sometimes. And it sucks.

I want to add a couple things though:

1. He wasn't running my tune, and..
2. This would've happened with a tune installed or not.

There was an underlying issue here in this case. I asked the OP to check his oil level. Waiting to hear back

Could also be numerous other issues that will just have to wait until the teardown happens. Bad fuel? (this is out of everyones control). Maybe he has a cracked/faulty oil pickup? Or maybe he actually has low oil? Could be a bad oil pump? We don't know at this point. What we do know is that a soft off the shelf tune won't break the truck, that this was going to happen without a tune. It does suck, for sure. It looks like Ford may help in this case.
Yea I’ll echo what GooseTuned said - this was just with a stage 1 Cobb tune after 1 week of running it.

Ive kind of moved past trying to figure out “why” at this point. I’ve only owNed the truck for 10k of the 70k miles. No telling what life it lived before me but it was definitely used like a Raptor should be used from the looks of some of the add ons ie deavers, bump stop kit, leitner rack and storage, decked system.

Right now the truck is in the dealers lot. The diagnosis was just testing the battery and it tested good. Pulled the belts and tried to turn over the motor by hand and it was seized up still. With that it needs a new motor haha. Pretty basic but Im hesitant to go the route of paying to tear it down For not much benefit.

Current options:

1. Have dealership replace motor $14k
-up to $7k covered IF extended warranty covers it….not high hopes
-2 year warranty

2. Performance shop replace stock motor
- Was told by one yesterday they typically come in a 60-70% of dealership costs

3. Performance shop replace with RMB stage 1 motor
- concerned with a lot of the RMB reviews.
- I like the idea of having something beefier after blowing a stock motor on a stage 1 tune at 70k miles.

Currently talking with shops around town. A little concerned finding a quality shop for a job like this. I also don’t want to be out of my truck for a long time.

Open to any/all opinions on those options.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

slimwhitman

Reaction score
Seized motors do happen . Crap just happens. Could of been an oil supply issue or a rod let go . Piston broke. Until they identify root cause. When this happened how long had engine been running? Was it fully warmed up? Were you just slowing driving in a blizzard? How was your oil level? Were you hearing any noises?

As far as tune don't ask don't tell. Was tune only mod on truck? Unless tune was causing detonation you could hammer out your bearings or break stuff.. Which I highly doubt cobb and goose tunes have all the safety stuff enabled . Tune did add probably 4 psi more boost than stock which is more load. I assume driving normally in a snowstorm I doubt you were in heavy boost.

I'm not a fan of variable pressure oil pump driving 80+ mph at 2000 rpm and 23 psi oil pressure. I don't know Seems low. Then when you come stop it goes to 30 psi idling in drive. Then under load its 70psi or more. Ford engineered that for themselves CAFE standards increase fuel mileage over the fleet. Guess I'm just old school like to see oil pressure being consistent. I have been running motorcraft 5w30 synthetic and filter . Dealer serviced every 2500miles . But I think after watching banks power videos on oil on youtube . I'm going to step up the quality of oil and go to one step higher 5w40 like I ran in my 14 ecoboost tremor.

Hoping it was better news like it was just a bad starter or bad ground cable .
No indication when it happened other than warnings going off on the dash. I had been driving for about 2 hours in crappy conditions and it had a bit to warm up in the morning. Didn’t notice any noises or anything dramatic. Looked at my gas mileage figuring I would notice something there if the truck had been running poorly. Avg 15.7mpg in 4A is about all I can ask for. Oil level was fine but it looked like I was ready for an oil change which I was about due for one.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother to find out why it seized, that's an insurance problem. Keep us informed on what you end up doing. Obviously a crate motor would be the quickest route. Have you thought about phoning another dealer for a quote, I mean they should be able to give you one without even seeing the truck. If you could save a couple thousand by spending a couple hundred on a tow truck, seems like a better idea.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have seen take out engines with transmissions from places that do V8 swaps. $6000 . Here is place that just did one in December in Las Vegas. May be worth calling if the have a take out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220110-033146_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220110-033146_Facebook.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited: