Motor died while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I appreciate it and if the timing worked out better I would’ve said yes. Might as well wait till tomorrow at this point since it’s already at the dealership. Timing on all of this sucked since it happened on Saturday and nothing was gonna be open until Monday.
One thing to keep in mind: The service advisors at Phil Long are on commission. The more they can get you to spend, the more money that goes into their pockets. They drag their feet on warranty work and sell like mad on overpriced crap that you don't need. Trust them as far as you can spit a live rat that's clinging to your face for dear life. Talk to the tech if you can.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hope not but I'm betting you spun a rod bearing . Starter performance fault code means it could not turn over engine. That's when engine died and would not restart . I'm sure it had a good charge and it lasted 7 hours till it went dead .

well that’s definitely more than just a battery replacement…. It didn’t actually last 7 hours. That’s just how long I was there. Maybe that’s besides the point. Something like this is more of what I was afraid of.
Well lets see what it turns out to be first , do you have any warranty? If it does need a replacement engine i would get it out of that shop find a good independent shop . Long block and turbos can be bought through Tasca. $4200 ish for long block and 500 ish each turbo. Core charges not sure of . Misc parts oil cooler ,intake manifold are recommended to replaced with a engine failure . i would say $8000 ish in parts 2000 ish in labor. Just guestamating. So if dealership try to soak you over $10,000 i would be Leary. Good luck man .

OP
OP
S

slimwhitman

Reaction score
Well lets see what it turns out to be first , do you have any warranty? If it does need a replacement engine i would get it out of that shop find a good independent shop . Long block and turbos can be bought through Tasca. $4200 ish for long block and 500 ish each turbo. Core charges not sure of . Misc parts oil cooler ,intake manifold are recommended to replaced with a engine failure . i would say $8000 ish in parts 2000 ish in labor. Just guestamating. So if dealership try to soak you over $10,000 i would be Leary. Good luck man .
I have some kind of cheap extended warranty but I just put the Cobb Stage 1 tune in a week ago….so I’m assuming if it goes that route I’m screwed.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't bet on that. Maybe in Canada, but down here dealers like PL are ripoff shops.
Yeah, it’s definitely different up here, I mean, we have the same crappy dealers, but stuff like batteries and tires, the parts dept like to price match competitors. I’ve bought my batteries and my last 2 sets of tires from Ford because they were the cheapest, but broke parts or tune up stuff that is FORD is 3 times the competitors prices, it’s so hit and miss.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One thing I learned with these engines with the variable pressure oil pump. Don't start running it hard or high rpms till oil is fully warmed up . On my 19 i can watch oil pressure and oil temp on my dash information. I dont even think of putting my foot into throttle unless oil temp is 180 deg or more . Then when i run hard i start rolling into the throttle and I make sure i see oil pressure go from 23psi swing up to 70+ psi before putting my foot all the way down . Also keep oil level topped off. Summers here in Arizona Oil gets to temp very fast . But its been in 30s at night so i keep that in mind. pics are after 5 min remote start 65 deg air temp leaving work.

Attachments

• 20220103_162018.jpg
    20220103_162018.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220103_162025.jpg
    20220103_162025.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
OP
OP
S

slimwhitman

Reaction score
I hope not but I'm betting you spun a rod bearing . Starter performance fault code means it could not turn over engine. That's when engine died and would not restart . I'm sure it had a good charge and it lasted 7 hours till it went dead .
Is this common? I cant find many stories on blown gen 2 motors.

Also, am I just screwed at this point because of the stage 1 tune? I find it hard to believe a week later that small of a tune could blow what’s supposed to be a high performance motor…….

Any advice on how to deal with the dealership when/if it comes up?

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Also, am I just screwed at this point because of the stage 1 tune? I find it hard to believe a week later that small of a tune could blow what’s supposed to be a high performance motor…….

Seized motors do happen . Crap just happens. Could of been an oil supply issue or a rod let go . Piston broke. Until they identify root cause. When this happened how long had engine been running? Was it fully warmed up? Were you just slowing driving in a blizzard? How was your oil level? Were you hearing any noises?

As far as tune don't ask don't tell. Was tune only mod on truck? Unless tune was causing detonation you could hammer out your bearings or break stuff.. Which I highly doubt cobb and goose tunes have all the safety stuff enabled . Tune did add probably 4 psi more boost than stock which is more load. I assume driving normally in a snowstorm I doubt you were in heavy boost.

I'm not a fan of variable pressure oil pump driving 80+ mph at 2000 rpm and 23 psi oil pressure. I don't know Seems low. Then when you come stop it goes to 30 psi idling in drive. Then under load its 70psi or more. Ford engineered that for themselves CAFE standards increase fuel mileage over the fleet. Guess I'm just old school like to see oil pressure being consistent. I have been running motorcraft 5w30 synthetic and filter . Dealer serviced every 2500miles . But I think after watching banks power videos on oil on youtube . I'm going to step up the quality of oil and go to one step higher 5w40 like I ran in my 14 ecoboost tremor.

Hoping it was better news like it was just a bad starter or bad ground cable .

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

A tuning issue can blow up any engine, high performance or not. You’re adding in variables that were never accounted for in the factory design. This is especially true with a plug-and-play tune as opposed to a custom one. Although failures aren’t common, they can still happen. If the engine is damaged and the root cause is determined to be related to the tune, that would not be covered by OEM warranty. Whether your aftermarket warranty covers it will depend how far they look into it.