Motor died while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

slimwhitman

Reaction score
It’s at the dealership and may have a new motor in it this Friday. Still not quite holding my breath at this point. I looked in to a handful of options and this one ended up making the most sense. From what I understand I have a pretty good extended warranty and I’m leaving that celebration until I have my truck and I’m leaving the dealership...

I looked in to some of the aftermarket options and couldn’t get enough confidence in any of them. This is my daily driver so I can’t really turn it in to a project truck. I was ready to swallow the cost but I can’t be in a rental for 3 months waiting for it to get done. And I don’t have any good relationships with performance shops around here that have done this before and one quoted me about 300$ less than the dealership to replace a stock motor.

I love the truck so I was going to do whatever it takes. Sounds like it may be working out in my favor, but still prepared to bite bullet if it doesn’t. I’ve only had the thing 10k miles I just want it back haha

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s at the dealership and may have a new motor in it this Friday. Still not quite holding my breath at this point. I looked in to a handful of options and this one ended up making the most sense. From what I understand I have a pretty good extended warranty and I’m leaving that celebration until I have my truck and I’m leaving the dealership...

I looked in to some of the aftermarket options and couldn’t get enough confidence in any of them. This is my daily driver so I can’t really turn it in to a project truck. I was ready to swallow the cost but I can’t be in a rental for 3 months waiting for it to get done. And I don’t have any good relationships with performance shops around here that have done this before and one quoted me about 300$ less than the dealership to replace a stock motor.

I love the truck so I was going to do whatever it takes. Sounds like it may be working out in my favor, but still prepared to bite bullet if it doesn’t. I’ve only had the thing 10k miles I just want it back haha
Hope it works out for you. Did the dealer give you details on what made the motor go out?

OP
OP
S

slimwhitman

Reaction score
Picked the truck up from the dealership today. During takedown the tech noticed something about the torque converter and decided it also needed to be replaced. Dealership called me to let me know they needed to call the adjuster back out to approve the $800 torque converter.

A couple days later I got a call from the service advisor telling me i must have a pretty good extended warranty besaue they said just throw a whole new transmission in it. At this point I’m almost concerned it’s going so well in my direction. I didn’t allow myself to celebrate until I was driving away in my truck.

Well I drive home in my truck today and still nervous to celebrate haha. But it seems everything’s good to go. No questions really at all and warranty covered $17k for a new motor/trans. Which quite honestly I feel is pretty fair since I only had 10k miles on it since I bought it. My only guess is the previous owner just wore it out then traded it in once the factory warranty was up.

I know everyone wants to know what happened. Trust me as washed up mechanic and engineer I do too…but I didn’t want to dig any deeper than I had to with the dealership/warranty. If they’re gonna cover it without asking any questions neither am I haha.

Anyone running the new Garretts…?

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Picked the truck up from the dealership today. During takedown the tech noticed something about the torque converter and decided it also needed to be replaced. Dealership called me to let me know they needed to call the adjuster back out to approve the $800 torque converter.

A couple days later I got a call from the service advisor telling me i must have a pretty good extended warranty besaue they said just throw a whole new transmission in it. At this point I’m almost concerned it’s going so well in my direction. I didn’t allow myself to celebrate until I was driving away in my truck.

Well I drive home in my truck today and still nervous to celebrate haha. But it seems everything’s good to go. No questions really at all and warranty covered $17k for a new motor/trans. Which quite honestly I feel is pretty fair since I only had 10k miles on it since I bought it. My only guess is the previous owner just wore it out then traded it in once the factory warranty was up.

I know everyone wants to know what happened. Trust me as washed up mechanic and engineer I do too…but I didn’t want to dig any deeper than I had to with the dealership/warranty. If they’re gonna cover it without asking any questions neither am I haha.

Anyone running the new Garretts…?
New Garrett’s? Wow your gutsy, that’s for sure!

There is a thread with someone that recently installed them.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Skip the garrets man and rejoice in your 14 k gift of a power train with zero miles. I dont think you know how lucky you are.

OP
OP
S

slimwhitman

Reaction score
Skip the garrets man and rejoice in your 14 k gift of a power train with zero miles. I dont think you know how lucky you are.
Just some humor guys….it’s been a long journey from when this started on a New Years road trip.

As the person that went through it I understand more than anyone on a forum. And it was actually $17k…

Even with that being covered this endeavor still cost me almost $3k with the towing and rental.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just some humor guys….it’s been a long journey from when this started on a New Years road trip.

As the person that went through it I understand more than anyone on a forum. And it was actually $17k…

Even with that being covered this endeavor still cost me almost $3k with the towing and rental.
That's good it was all covered except tow and rental. Break her in good. Run good quality oil after that. I ran semi synthetic for 15, 000 , switched to full synthetic. In 2000 more miles I will be at 20,000 going to 100% synthetic. Motul xcess. Full syn and 100% synthetic not same . Did a lot of reading up on subject. I try not to get in any boost till oil is 150 deg traffic dependant. 180deg is better. Oil takes longer to get up to temp before coolant .I wouldnt mess with garrett turbos . Get you a garrett intercooler and goto stage 2 have goosetune set you up safe. My plan soon to get with goose tune if I can stop working 80 hour weeks and finish my mods.

Last edited: