Motion -X HD Setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BearClaw

FRF Addict
Reaction score
MotionX is a $1.99 app that can be downloaded onto your iPhone or iPad. For our purposes an iPad is ideal due to large screen size. The app will work with or without an internet connection or cell data (i.e. mobile hotspot setup and running on your phone). However, when there is no internet or cell connection you will be limited on how much topographic detail you can view on the map.

For off roading in remote areas, you must download the necessary detailed maps prior to venturing out.

Following are instructions for importing tracks and downloading required maps so you can accurately track your location and progress.

Basics
- Confirm your iPad has a built in GPS antenna
- Confirm your iPad has available memory to download the necessary maps(for the DDII event, these maps will take approximately 3Gb)
- Purchase and install MotionX HD on your iPad
DDII attendees(other events may have similar tracks available from the organizer)
- Obtain DDII tracks & waypoints from BearClaw (PM or email him)
- These will come via email. You should activate your email on your iPad, even temporarily, in order to load directly into the MotionX app
- Once you receive the email(s). Select each GPX file and select “Open With MotionX”, if prompted.
- Select Save to MotionX if prompted
- After each track has been downloaded, select Menu, select Tracks, select one of the DDII tracks imported. A small map will open up; touch the Expand View icon (double arrows)
- All of the tracks and waypoints imported should now be visible on the map you are viewing (see image 1)
- Select Menu, then Setup, then Map Downloads, then Download New Maps and then select MotionX Terrain (images 2 & 3)
- A circle will appear over the Tracks you downloaded. (image 4)
- Now comes the tricky part because MotionX will only allow you to download 100K tiles at a time. SO, you will need to download overlapping maps on separate occasions to get all of the detail you need. You should be able to do it 2 or 3 downloads.
- Select “Route”. Adjust Min Zoom to 6 and Max Zoom to 16. (Image 5)
- Zoom in on map and adjust angle and width so the oval shape covers all tracks you can. Attempt to cover as much of the tracks you can – watch the amount of Tiles as you adjust the oval download area. Do not exceed 100,000 tiles. Again, you will need to break up the download into 2 or 3 downloads.
- Select “Download”. The download will take a number of hours due to large amount of data and your connection speed
- Repeat the above steps until you have downloaded all of the necessary maps.

- You can check to make sure you have all necessary maps by:
1. Turn of your internet connection on the iPad
2. Open MotionX and go to the DDII area on the map
3. Starting at most Southern track beginning, zoom in to maximum. Now move map and follow the tracks all the way through. If the map disappears at any point and goes grey (no data) you can download those missing sections. Usually only takes a few minutes since it is a small amount of data.

Attachments

• Tracks overview.jpg
    Tracks overview.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 143
  • Map download start.jpg
    Map download start.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 150
  • Step 2 Map Download.jpg
    Step 2 Map Download.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 143
  • 20150823_100401.jpg
    20150823_100401.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 152
  • Adjusting Map Download.jpg
    Adjusting Map Download.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok I'm hoping that someone who will view this thread could help me out. I bought this and I don't know how to use it anyone have any prior experience with it?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440378318.342835.jpg

Gilligan

Reaction score
Ok I'm hoping that someone who will view this thread could help me out. I bought this and I don't know how to use it anyone have any prior experience with it?
View attachment 67548

I have what's is probably an older version of that, I recently got this exact set up going in my truck so I can probably help you out. Haven't really tested it too much yet but did get it up and running a few times

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
Do not exceed 100,000 tiles.

Why is that? I have had 700k tiles downloading for the last few days and am 70% through. First 25% went fast now grinding. Should I cancel it and start again?

OP
OP
BearClaw

BearClaw

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why is that? I have had 700k tiles downloading for the last few days and am 70% through. First 25% went fast now grinding. Should I cancel it and start again?

No, don't stop it now if it is still downloading. If you didn't receive the warning to reduce the number of files - let it go.

700K tiles will take maybe......24 hours ??

---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

View attachment 67548

Sorry, I have never seen that one

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
About 4 days to get to 70%.

Gilligan

Reaction score
About 4 days to get to 70%.

Mine will pop up a warning about going over a certain size, but I can continue anyhow. There is an option to check for missed tiles, or something along those that seems to be there after you download a large file but that only takes a few minutes. I've had a few that took a couple over days even on fios 75/75, but they still seem to work fine

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The xgps160 is just a higher version of the other one. Allows connectivity of multiple devices and I think is slightly more accurate with more satellite connections. You attach it via Bluetooth to your device and then when you open motion x it should automatically work. I used it for every GLRE event I've been on. Works great. First one I bought got fried in the charger though. Had to send it in for warranty replacement.

freedommotorsports.us

Phone: 260-444-7503
Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg

OP
OP
BearClaw

BearClaw

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Another MotionX option that is pretty cool, if you have a network or cell connection, is the ability to see other Raptors who are similarly connected and have selected "Auto Live Updates" in the Menu settings. You will also need to set your "Channel" to the FRF one (see picture below).

You can then see any Raptor in the country who is connected and running MotionX. I have sat at a bar in NH and "watched" the trucks running at the SNoBall event.

Attachments

• 20150823_124552.jpg
    20150823_124552.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 20150823_124606.jpg
    20150823_124606.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 104