Mortorcraft Oil Filter Comparison To Others

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A few years makes a big difference though. While I'm fine with using a FL820s or FL500 on all my Fords- the Motorcraft filters are near where near as good as the newer synthetic media filters.

A good example is Fram. Total junk according to that PDF, right? Not so fast- their relatively newish Ultra Synthetic filters are one of the best on the market right now, especially for the price. Not just the media itself is markedly better, but the construction is far superior to the Motorcraft filters. Even the oil snobs over at BITOG forums recommend the Ultra Syn Fram filters.

I stick with the Walmart Supertech full synthetic 5W-30 and Motorcraft filters in all my engines since I'm not an oil snob and I've never seen a Ford fail due to an oiling issues. I also have the right cap wrench to fit the tiny flutes on an 820S. Can't find one for the FL-500 though, which sucks.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A good example is Fram. Total junk according to that PDF, right? Not so fast- their relatively newish Ultra Synthetic filters are one of the best on the market right now, especially for the price.

The problem with FRAM is they sell 5 levels of quality filter for a single application. The average consumer has no idea what tough guard vs extra guard means to them.

When comparing basic paper element filters..... yes...FOMOCO filters are much superior to FRAM and many others.

The consumer has to decide....do you want a high quality paper filter.....or......a synthetic media filter that may not have been 100% tested yet.

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on that PDF, it looks like the Napa Gold and the Carquest filters may outperform the Ford filter. Am I reading that right?

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The problem with FRAM is they sell 5 levels of quality filter for a single application. The average consumer has no idea what tough guard vs extra guard means to them.

When comparing basic paper element filters..... yes...FOMOCO filters are much superior to FRAM and many others.

The consumer has to decide....do you want a high quality paper filter.....or......a synthetic media filter that may not have been 100% tested yet.

I see your point- but I'd think the type that actually get under their car to change oil are more than likely going to be able to figure out what is the bottom, mid-line and top end filters. You can pretty much do it by price alone if that's all you had to go on.

OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few years makes a big difference though. While I'm fine with using a FL820s or FL500 on all my Fords- the Motorcraft filters are near where near as good as the newer synthetic media filters.

A good example is Fram. Total junk according to that PDF, right? Not so fast- their relatively newish Ultra Synthetic filters are one of the best on the market right now, especially for the price. Not just the media itself is markedly better, but the construction is far superior to the Motorcraft filters. Even the oil snobs over at BITOG forums recommend the Ultra Syn Fram filters.

I stick with the Walmart Supertech full synthetic 5W-30 and Motorcraft filters in all my engines since I'm not an oil snob and I've never seen a Ford fail due to an oiling issues. I also have the right cap wrench to fit the tiny flutes on an 820S. Can't find one for the FL-500 though, which sucks.

I'd like to see a Fram Ultra cut open to compare the content materials.

YanevSMY

Reaction score
Does anyone know the rating of the Pressure Relief / By-pass Valve of the oem oil filter?

I can not find that information anywhere.

II ask because it is key information to choosing a better than oem filter.