Morimoto Replacement LED Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJ_111717

Reaction score
Bombsquad - thanks for your review on the headlights. As the North American distributor for this product, we wanted to chime in quickly on what seems to be your main concern over the lights - which was the lack of additional intensity from the high beams.

Looking at your output shots, it seems the high beam projectors are just aimed too low. Check out the install guide on P8 (last page) - you'll see there is a separate aiming adjuster for the high beam height. Turning that counter-clockwise will raise the beam and provide you with better distance / spread.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/media/custom/upload/File-1540233179.pdf

If you have radio interference too, you can either contact us or Raptor Retrofit directly - will get you a set of inline EMI adapters that will fix that problem. The unfortunate downside is that you would have to unmount the light to install it, but it will definitely fix the issue.

Thanks again for your honest review. Truck looks sick! hopefully these couple things will be helpful & allow you to enjoy the lights as designed. Cheers man.

PM'd

Wizo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was bummed reading this post because I really wanted a set of these. Did you fix the issues you were having/? I really do not want any type of static on my radio when these are on also.

erolivas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was bummed reading this post because I really wanted a set of these. Did you fix the issues you were having/? I really do not want any type of static on my radio when these are on also.

The static is fixed with the EMI harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wizo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that an extra part or do they now all come with that part? What about the hot spot issue and brightness not being on par with the stock?

erolivas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that an extra part or do they now all come with that part? What about the hot spot issue and brightness not being on par with the stock?

I emailed Raptor Retrofit and they sent me the harnesses. I need to adjust them slightly... just haven’t had the time.

BajaChaser

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can someone help me out here. I think I got the halogen setup even though I ordered the factory OEM LED option. Top pic is what I got and what I suspect are all the things needed to make the halogen trucks work. Bottom pic is my stock headlight plug which looks nothing like anything in the harness I recieved . Nothing matches. I heard that this mixup was a problem early on but TheRetrofitSource chimed into another forums post and claimed that was all cleared up. I'm re-assembling the truck now . Huge waste of time.
OZKoHn

IMG_2643.JPG

IMG_2642.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bombsquad68

Bombsquad68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like you need to raise the high beams, you can adjust those independently of the lows. You should be able to access the adjustment screws by dropping the front part of the wheel well liner, you may have to use an angle adapter on the socket wrench but you should be able to get on it enough to adjust while the lights are installed and aimed at a wall. Here is an example of how they should look at around 20 feet from a wall. There are also horizontal adjustments for both low and high if you feel you are not getting enough width.

Your drivers side high beam looks like its below the low beam. Definitely need to raise those up.

View attachment 115819

They're aimed properly in the truck, I covered up the lows and highs and aimed everything independently. I have a fleet of big rigs and know how to aim headlights.

I compare these to the $200 (each) replacement JW Speaker LED lights in my Kenworths and they absolutely crush these Morimotos in both light quality and output. Compared to the factory LED, I still prefer factory by a lot.

Another downside, the Morimotos build up ice on them worse than factory LEDs. Me and the old man took our trucks up to the cabin and his Superduty's factory LEDs managed to stay clear, mine were built up. Aftermarket lights like the Speaker ones use electric heaters in the glass, or fans to circulate warm air to the lens. Not sure if the Morimotos have fans but if it do, it's not very effective.

Trust me, I wanted to like these considering what they cost and the hype about being an improvement even over factory LED.

Wizo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I am going to get me a set because I want my raptor to be different looking than others. The only decision I am struggling with is amber or white drl. I feel like you can drive with your parking lights on to get the same look but the Raptor is known for the amber lights.

Wizo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last question on these. Do the daytime running lights (DRL) dim when the headlights come one? Is the intensity of the DRL lowered at night?

erolivas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last question on these. Do the daytime running lights (DRL) dim when the headlights come one? Is the intensity of the DRL lowered at night?

Yes the DRL’s dim when headlights are on.