More Raptor Transmission Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smarsha11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stumbled upon this thread researching this exact issue with my truck. Sadly she's at the dealer now hopefully getting the lead frame replaced as that seems to be what the fix is for this.

I hoping that my cost is about the same as the guy above. A little less then 1k isn't to bad. I just hope they can get me my truck bad fast.

I showed the service guy a picture I took on my phone with the trucks gauges. No speedometer​, no fuel estimation, and dashes for an odometer. He still said they needed to "replicate" the issue before they could repair it. Sounds stupid to me since symptoms and build date of my truck match perfectly to the tsb.....

Any update? Mine is going to the dealer August 7 for the exact same symptoms. I expect it to be the leadframe as well. I was under the impression that recall 16N02 is covered with an extended warranty for 10 years or 150000 miles. I already had the PCM reprogrammed which didn't resolve the problem. Hopefully this will be the end of it.

Maybe Crystal with @FordService could intercede on your behalf?

Last edited:

Fuzzy Taco

Reaction score
I got the truck back the next day. Really fast turn around. Mine was technically a 2013 model but was built during the tsb listed here. The dealer I took mine too did a valvebody overhaul and lead frame replacement. Also updated the calibration to the latest. Truck drives amazing now. All of it was outside warranty though so I got set back 1k. But all in all not a bad price for the turn around time and work done.

smarsha11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the truck back the next day. Really fast turn around. Mine was technically a 2013 model but was built during the tsb listed here. The dealer I took mine too did a valvebody overhaul and lead frame replacement. Also updated the calibration to the latest. Truck drives amazing now. All of it was outside warranty though so I got set back 1k. But all in all not a bad price for the turn around time and work done.

Good to hear. Thanks for the update.

kidkotic2001

Reaction score
I know that I'm late to the party but I just posted for mine. My issue is tht the dealership just told me I need a new trans. Did not say what was wrong and what is the issue. I have a feeling it is not the full transmission only 3rd into 4th is an issue. I'm frustrated it took them 9 days to let me know that and the total price of 5469.00. Hoping to take it elsewhere to get it taken a look at.

OP
OP
shooterAMG

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sucks. Mine had been solid up to this point (yes I still have my 2011) until last Sunday when it wouldn't start. Turns out the Trans Range Sensor is bad. Truck doesn't know what gear it's in, so it won't start. $200 part at Napa (national shortage on OEM) and my shop says the book time is 4 hours. Part is inside the trans. So fun! #FirstWorldProblems

RaptorNewbie

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Raptor and I have owned it new since Dec 2016. I have experienced issues with the transmission fluid about 5 times now and it is always when I am on a road trip or long drive. The vehicle spudders which I have now learned that its the Limp Mode kicking in. It usually results in trans fluid spraying out from underneath and the dealers fix is to top off the fluids but apparently this truck is extremely sensitive to overfilling as much as being under filled. In the past, I can usually get by but last week I took an 11 hour road trip from CA to Utah and it decided to peter out 30 miles from Vegas. The trans gauge turned on and showed a temp reading of 256, limp mode started and an orange wrench symbol popped up. It was 113 degrees outside but I turned off the A/C and slowed to 60mph to get myself to civilization. I was able to contact a Ford dealer in Vegas that took the car in but their only fix was to clean the undercarriage, verify fluid level which it took 2 quarts and replace oil pan gasket. I was able to continue driving with no further issues but now I feel like its just unreliable on road trips. Anyone else experience this?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2017 Raptor and I have owned it new since Dec 2016. I have experienced issues with the transmission fluid about 5 times now and it is always when I am on a road trip or long drive. The vehicle spudders which I have now learned that its the Limp Mode kicking in. It usually results in trans fluid spraying out from underneath and the dealers fix is to top off the fluids but apparently this truck is extremely sensitive to overfilling as much as being under filled. In the past, I can usually get by but last week I took an 11 hour road trip from CA to Utah and it decided to peter out 30 miles from Vegas. The trans gauge turned on and showed a temp reading of 256, limp mode started and an orange wrench symbol popped up. It was 113 degrees outside but I turned off the A/C and slowed to 60mph to get myself to civilization. I was able to contact a Ford dealer in Vegas that took the car in but their only fix was to clean the undercarriage, verify fluid level which it took 2 quarts and replace oil pan gasket. I was able to continue driving with no further issues but now I feel like its just unreliable on road trips. Anyone else experience this?
As you mention, these transmissions are extremely sensitive to being overfilled. That condition will cause fluid to vent from the top of the case after sustained driving, such as on a long trip. Here is the fluid check procedure; if the dealer just added fluid without following these instructions, you’re going to have a repeat concern:

With the engine running, place the transmission selector in each gear position, holding approximately 5 seconds in each position. Place the transmission selector in PARK.

Remove the transmission fluid fill plug and remove the transmission fluid level indicator from the plug.
Check the transmission fluid level using the transmission fluid level indicator.
Fluid Level Indicators with Letters A, B and C

NOTE:
The transmission fluid level indicator uses A, B and C to indicate the fluid level. The different areas are for different vehicle models. The correct transmission fluid level is within the C area on the transmission fluid level indicator.

NOTE: Do not overfill the transmission.
Using the scan tool verify the transmission fluid temperature is between 96ºC - 101ºC (206ºF - 215ºF). The transmission fluid level must be within the C area on the transmission fluid level indicator.
Fluid Level Indicators with Letters A and B

NOTE:
The transmission fluid level indicator uses A and B to indicate the fluid level. The different areas are for different vehicle models. The correct transmission fluid level is within the B area on the transmission fluid level indicator.

Using the scan tool verify the transmission fluid temperature is between 96ºC - 101ºC (206ºF - 215ºF). The transmission fluid level must be within the B area on the transmission fluid level indicator.
Fluid Level Indicators with Numbers

NOTE:
The transmission fluid level indicator uses 1 through 6 to indicate the fluid level. The different numbers are for different vehicle models. Use the area between 5 and 6 when checking the transmission fluid level. The correct transmission fluid level is between 5 and 6 on the transmission fluid level indicator.
Using the scan tool verify the transmission fluid temperature is between 96ºC - 101ºC (206ºF - 215ºF). The transmission fluid level must be between 5 and 6 on the transmission fluid level indicator.
All vehicles

If the transmission fluid is not at the correct level, follow the steps for adding or removing transmission fluid.
Refer to: Transmission Fluid Drain and Refill(307-01B Automatic Transmission - 10-Speed Automatic Transmission – 10R80, General Procedures).

Install the transmission fluid fill plug.
Torque: 35 lb.ft (47 Nm)

Last edited:

RaptorNewbie

Reaction score
Thank you FordTechOne. I appreciate your response. Do you know where the fill tank is for the trans fluid if its low? I am also looking into a B&M dipstick to make life easier moving forward to check the levels.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you FordTechOne. I appreciate your response. Do you know where the fill tank is for the trans fluid if its low? I am also looking into a B&M dipstick to make life easier moving forward to check the levels.
The dipstick is the fill port, it’s located in the passenger side of the transmission toward the front.