More Raptor Transmission Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any news from the dealer yet, shooterAMG? Keep us in the loop; I'm always just a PM away if you need my assistance.

Crystal

It's a real benefit to have you on the forum, thank you.

I'd be interested to know why the dealership in question sat on the truck for a week before even looking at it without once indicating to the customer there would be this kind of delay? Is it unreasonable to expect a service representative from the dealership to call at the end of each day just to let you know what progress (or lack thereof) has been completed?

Not trying to dump this on you, it's just confusing when I know Ford Corp. does care about dealership service.

Regards.

windsor

Reaction score
Crystal, I hope it is ok I post these tsbs.

Shooteramg, here is a tsb that might possibly be the concern. I have done a few of these. Shouldn't be to expensive.

Printable View (48 KB)
TSB
13-6-8 6R80 TRANSMISSION HIGH GEAR ENGAGEMENT FROM A STOP - VEHICLES BUILT ON OR BEFORE 4/8/2013

Publication Date: June 7, 2013

FORD: 2011-2014 Mustang
2011-2013 F-150
2012-2013 Expedition
LINCOLN: 2012-2013 Navigator

The article supersedes TSB 13-4-9 to update the vehicle model years.

ISSUE:
Some 2011-2014 Mustang, 2011-2013 F-150, 2012-2013 Expedition and Navigator vehicles equipped with a 6R80 transmission and built on or before 4/8/2013 may exhibit a transmission engagement in 5th gear when starting. The wrench indictor and/or the seat belt minder may be illuminated, the speedometer reads zero and the odometer displays dashes while driving. Symptoms may clear after an ignition key cycle. Diagnostics trouble codes (DTCs) P0720 and P0722 may or may not be stored in the powertrain control module.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Replace the molded leadframe on the main control assembly. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 307-01 Shift Solenoids.

NOTE: REPLACEMENT OF SHIFT SOLENOIDS ARE NOT REQUIRED FOR THIS PROCEDURE.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
AL3Z-7G276-A Molded Leadframe

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
130608A 2011-2013 F-150, 2012-2013 Expedition And Navigator 6R80 Transmission: Check DTCs And Replace The Molded Leadframe (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 2.1 Hrs.
130608A 2011-2014 Mustang 6R80 Transmission: Check DTCs And Replace The Molded Leadframe (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 2.2 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
7G276 d4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2013 Ford Motor Company

OR this tsb if it falls into the build date. This just requires the pcm to be reflashed.

Printable View (69 KB)
TSB
12-2-16 MIL ILLUMINATED WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SHIFT CONCERNS - DTCS P0711,P2610, P2111 OR P2112 - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 4/1/2011

Publication Date: February 27, 2012

FORD: 2011 F-150

This article supersedes TSB 11-7-20 to update the Title and Issue Statement.

ISSUE:
Some 2011 F-150 vehicles built on or before 4/1/2011 may exhibit a malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) illuminated with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0711, P2610, P2111 or P2112. Some vehicles may exhibit transmission shift concerns late/delayed 1-2 or 3-4 upshift. Some vehicles may enter failure mode effects management (FMEM) fail safe mode 3rd gear operation. Additionally, flex fuel capable engines 3.7L and 5.0L may exhibit a hard start in cold ambient temperatures less than 10 °C (50 °F) when using flex fuel, or may exhibit a MIL illuminated with DTCs P0171, P0172, P0174 or P0175 after a fueling event.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Reprogram the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 72.02 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2011.3 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at Buy Motorcraft Parts Online | Official Motorcraft Auto Parts Site | FordParts.com.
NOTE: PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.

The calibration update contains improvement actions and enhancements to address the following by engine configuration:

3.5L Ecoboost Engine:

Improved Idle Stability Calibration
Improved Calibration to prevent False P0711 DTC
Improved Calibration to prevent False P2610 DTC
3.7L Engine:

Improved Flex Fuel Calculation after Refueling Event to prevent False P0171, P0172, P0174, P0175 DTC
Improved Cold Start Calibration when using E-85 Ethanol or mixture of Flex Fuel in cold ambient temperatures less than 10° C (50° F).
5.0L Engine:

Improved Flex Fuel Calculation after Refueling Event to prevent False P0171, P0172, P0174, P0175 DTC
Improved Cold Start Calibration when using E-85 Ethanol or mixture of Flex Fuel in cold ambient temperatures less than 10° C (50° F).
Improved Calibration to prevent False P2111/P2112 DTC
6.2L Engine:

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
120216A 2011 F-150: Check DTCs And Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.4 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
recalem 04

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2012 Ford Motor Company

Plus in defense of the dealer, this is EVERY(dealers or independents) shops super busy season. Where I work we are two weeks out.

Hope this helps?! and good luck.

Geo_Tactical

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'd be interested to know why the dealership in question sat on the truck for a week before even looking at it without once indicating to the customer there would be this kind of delay? Is it unreasonable to expect a service representative from the dealership to call at the end of each day just to let you know what progress (or lack thereof) has been completed?

Not trying to dump this on you, it's just confusing when I know Ford Corp. does care about dealership service.

Regards.

Ford makes a decent product, in my opinion, with room for improvement. The weak link though, and it's getting weaker, are the dealerships selling and servicing that product. The customer service at the dealership level, mixed with utter disregard for competency and fair treatment in the service department, leave an impression that makes buying something like a Toyota seem to be a better option. My dealer here in Coeur d' Alene is so bad that I won't even get the oil changed there. Ford corporate better figure it out, or they are going to lose a lot of business.

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I'd be interested to know why the dealership in question sat on the truck for a week before even looking at it without once indicating to the customer there would be this kind of delay? Is it unreasonable to expect a service representative from the dealership to call at the end of each day just to let you know what progress (or lack thereof) has been completed?...

Hi Big Blue,

Thanks; I'm happy to be here! I understand the frustration with this situation, and without actually being at this dealership, I couldn't say what circumstances are at play here. I'm sure there are times when service departments get exceptionally busy and there simply aren't enough hours in the day. Hopefully, though, whenever any of you run into these kinds of situations, you'll reach out to me so I can help smooth over any issues. :)

Crystal, I hope it is ok I post these tsbs...

No worries, windsor; I won't tell. ;)

Crystal

OP
OP
shooterAMG

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So $921 later, I have my truck back. I think they flashed the PCM as well, since when I start her up, pull into DRIVE, the gear listing appears on the info center, but eventually goes away. I can manually make it disappear by pressing the + button the shifter and I can still make it re-appear by pressing -. So far it's shifting fine. I plan to flush the trans this week with Mercon LV to get all the Amsoil out. While I don't want to be the reason this happened, I kind hope it was the Amsoil and not a manufacturing defect.

Shift Solenoid was $31, like I saw on the internet. Labor was over $700. Hope the tech has a PHd cause those are Doctor bill rates! My ass still hurts from that bill!

Yes, dealer was the worst to work with, but I resisted being an ******* since they had my over a barrel. I wanted the truck fixed and fixed the first time. I do hope I get a review email because I will tell them how I feel. In this day and age, customer service is everything and they fell flat on their face.

Thanks to all of you for your concern and assistance. I'll be buying the Ford Service Manual so if this happens again and the valve body has to come out, I'll be doing it in my garage and not dropping $1600 at the shop.

Fuzzy Taco

Reaction score
Stumbled upon this thread researching this exact issue with my truck. Sadly she's at the dealer now hopefully getting the lead frame replaced as that seems to be what the fix is for this.

I hoping that my cost is about the same as the guy above. A little less then 1k isn't to bad. I just hope they can get me my truck bad fast.

I showed the service guy a picture I took on my phone with the trucks gauges. No speedometer​, no fuel estimation, and dashes for an odometer. He still said they needed to "replicate" the issue before they could repair it. Sounds stupid to me since symptoms and build date of my truck match perfectly to the tsb.....

Attachments

• IMG_20170725_135849135.jpg
    IMG_20170725_135849135.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 79