More Nimble - TRX or 37” RG3??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rcasa20

Reaction score
Looking for some thoughts. I currently have a Challenger Redeye and F150 2.7. Looking to trade the F150 in for a new truck and was thinking TRX until I saw the 37” option with those awesome blue seats. The question I have is how nimble will a Raptor with 37” tires feel? Seems like the common negative comment about the TRX is that although it has a powerful engine it feels heavy. Won’t the Raptor Gen 3 with 37” tires feel heavy too? I get that a lesser powered RG3 with 35” may feel more balanced but seems logical a 37” will feel heavy too. Any opinions that will help me decide direction? Thanks!!

OP
OP
Rcasa20

Rcasa20

Reaction score
Additionally, I’m anxious to see what the mpg is for the 37s. If it’s the same as the TRX I’m probably going to lean toward the TRX. Rather deal with crappy mpg due to a powerful engine than big tires. I’m not doing any off-roading.

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure how to respond.. but here goes.

I run 37s on my Gen 1, I found the truck still handles fine even with the extra bit weight from the 37s offroad. Sure I sacrificed some travel but that was accounted for when planning how to build the truck. I'm also getting 14 mpg as I sit currently, I think I got 15 on 35s.

A Gen 2 Raptor on 37s is getting the same or better milage than me, Someone will chime I'm sure to say what their number is. There's no way a Gen 3 gets 9 -10 MPG on 37s lol. you're concerned about milage why even think of a 37 inch Gen 3? You'll be able to order a 35" Raptor with the Recaro interior, if your main goal is getting blue seats.

You need to remember the TRX is 653lbs heavier than a Gen 2 SuperCrew Raptor. So even with 37s on the Raptor it will still feel more agile than the TRX.

Since you've stated you're looking to buy a truck as a street queen I say buy the RAM. It's perfect for guys who want to flex on everyone at the light.

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
Have you had a chance to drive a TRX and a 2nd Gen Raptor? That will give you an idea of how the 3rd Gen will stack up against the TRX. The Raptor is lighter and will feel more nimble in the corners. The TRX is planted, but you can’t hide the extra weight going into the corner. Coming out of the corner and smashing the skinny pedal is where the TRX will roar to life. Both have their pro’s and con’s. Either truck will make you happy.

OP
OP
Rcasa20

Rcasa20

Reaction score
Have you had a chance to drive a TRX and a 2nd Gen Raptor? That will give you an idea of how the 3rd Gen will stack up against the TRX. The Raptor is lighter and will feel more nimble in the corners. The TRX is planted, but you can’t hide the extra weight going into the corner. Coming out of the corner and smashing the skinny pedal is where the TRX will roar to life. Both have their pro’s and con’s. Either truck will make you happy.
This is very helpful. Where we drive there are few corners so the fun comes around here from straight line driving. I haven’t driven a TRX yet. The only ones I’ve seen at my dealers are customer orders. Thx!

OP
OP
Rcasa20

Rcasa20

Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure how to respond.. but here goes.

I run 37s on my Gen 1, I found the truck still handles fine even with the extra bit weight from the 37s offroad. Sure I sacrificed some travel but that was accounted for when planning how to build the truck. I'm also getting 14 mpg as I sit currently, I think I got 15 on 35s.

A Gen 2 Raptor on 37s is getting the same or better milage than me, Someone will chime I'm sure to say what their number is. There's no way a Gen 3 gets 9 -10 MPG on 37s lol. you're concerned about milage why even think of a 37 inch Gen 3? You'll be able to order a 35" Raptor with the Recaro interior, if your main goal is getting blue seats.

You need to remember the TRX is 653lbs heavier than a Gen 2 SuperCrew Raptor. So even with 37s on the Raptor it will still feel more agile than the TRX.

Since you've stated you're looking to buy a truck as a street queen I say buy the RAM. It's perfect for guys who want to flex on everyone at the light.
Great stuff! This will be my wife’s DD but I’m in it quite a bit too so I want the performance aspect. She likes the looks of both but the idea of 37s has her intrigued (me too) and we both like the blue interior for a change. Guess she wants to drive over those other trucks when at Sam’s!!

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is very helpful. Where we drive there are few corners so the fun comes around here from straight line driving. I haven’t driven a TRX yet. The only ones I’ve seen at my dealers are customer orders. Thx!

I don't understand why you are looking at a raptor with 37's.....

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great stuff! This will be my wife’s DD but I’m in it quite a bit too so I want the performance aspect. She likes the looks of both but the idea of 37s has her intrigued (me too) and we both like the blue interior for a change. Guess she wants to drive over those other trucks when at Sam’s!!

Best performance wise would be a Gen 3 on 35s. It will be quicker than a 37 truck and will have more wheel travel.

I agree the blue interior is definitely a change, whether or not it's a nice one still remains to be seen lol. I'm really hoping it's not as bad in person cause I'm planning on getting a 37" Gen 3.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Because it's bad a$$!! Does one need any another reason than that??? Is there something else that you'd suggest that's sweeter??