GEN 2 Moonroof won't open...loud "clunk"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to cycle my moonroof open/closed last night, even though it was in the high 30s out, because I do it every so often in order to keep the seals from sticking. I raised it first, and it opened just fine. Then I closed it. Then I pressed the button to have it slide open to the back, and I saw it lower down into the sliding position, and then made a loud "clunk" noise and didn't move any more. I immediately pressed the close button, and it raised back up into the normal sealed position, and didn't mess with it again that night (because it was cold and dark). I went out this morning to look and see if I could find anything wrong, but nothing looks obviously out of position. Because it's warmer today (high 40s), I figured I'd try again, as there's no chance anything was frozen together still (which there wasn't last night either, but just to be sure). Today it still raises into the vent position and will close after that, but now when I try to slide it open, it just lowers down and then makes the tiniest of moves before stopping and not going any further. I can then close it again just fine. It does not make the "thunk" noise each time...that was a one time thing only, luckily! The sound was bad enough that I thought the glass had shattered.

I went through the moonroof reset procedure, but when it got to the part where it's supposed to slide back, it does the same thing where it basically doesn't move but just a VERY small amount, and then stops.

I called to make an appointment with the service dept at the dealer (this BETTER be covered under warranty...2019 truck with 18.5k miles on it), but they can't get me in until Tuesday. Granted, I don't need the moonroof before then, but I'd really like to get it working before then if possible.

Anyone happen to know what might have happened, and if there's an easy fix for it? Thanks!

OP
OP
Ski4Ever

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine broke too. The thread Nik posted was mine. It's broken plastic track that needs to be replaced. It should be covered under your warranty.
Is that something that they'll likely have in stock and be able to repair/replace in one day (my appt is for 9am), or do you think it will likely require an overnight visit, in which case I'll need a rental? I guess if they say they don't have the parts at the time, I can just ask them to make another appt for me when they do have it, and I'm assuming it wouldn't take more than one day at that point!

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
make sure you lube the seals on the glass. plenty of you tubes on this. the pop happens when the glass seals stick together. a regular lube job every quarter keeps this from happening.

OP
OP
Ski4Ever

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
make sure you lube the seals on the glass. plenty of you tubes on this. the pop happens when the glass seals stick together. a regular lube job every quarter keeps this from happening.
I've had the seals stick together before, and this seemed like a different kind of noise than the noise I've heard when the seals break free again. I don't really know how to describe it, but it definitely seemed different.

I have used some 303 protectant on the rubber to keep the rubber fresh and not brittle, but I haven't used any sort of lube on them. What is the recommended lube? I'm guessing there's a better option than just getting something from the dealership, right?

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i use some lube i got from wally world. For sells some stuff, but it is crazy expensive.

can you post a video of what the noise is? or show what the glass is doing as it pops up to retract?