GEN 2 Moonroof won't open...loud "clunk"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Anyone happen to know what might have happened, and if there's an easy fix for it? Thanks!

The fragile, maintenance intensive and breakage prone Ford twin panel moonroof broke, that’s what and no, there’s not an easy fix for it, unless you’re handy at bodyshop kind of work.

All the info you need is in here - pay attention to my posts in there. Basically, see if you can open put it in the vent position and help it up with your hand... then lube.

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/sunroof-broke-this-morning.77226/#post-1502804

he’s past the lube point, it’s broke.

My dealer had the parts in stock and if they aren't, they can get them from another dealer. But if you want, ask if they have the pano track kit in stock and to hold it for you. check the other thread that's linked for the TSB as well.

First, make sure your stealership --actually does-- the repair or if they contract it out. My former stealership didn’t and contracted the repair, essentially doubling the wait time, scheduling and it didn’t help that they took the parts for my truck’s repair and gave them to some other schmo.

f the cheapest rental they can find is $60/day, this would be true. I just went through this, I had to get customer service at FMC involved, but I got my rental. I ended up paying a little over a dollar a day to make up the difference. A dishonest dealer will do everything possible to not give you a loaner or a rental.

So, where does it say you’re entitled to a loaner for a warrantable repair, I want to peruse that. Let’s set that aside for a minute. For any repair presented, the vehicle first has to be evaluated to determine if it’s warrantable. If it is, and there’s doc like an SSM, TSB, etc. they’ll follow that --or not--. the cam phaser doc says to evaluate, not tear the engine down and that the customer can drive the vehicle but we have some users who had the whole front end torn off, left without the truck while they waited for parts, sometimes months for the perpetually “nationally back ordered” hard parts. So, your repair might meet whatever loaner requirements might, or might not exist, and let’s say you’ve got a repair that qualifies and you can have a day for a loaner, but your stealership has to wait on parts for 2 weeks, will the stealership keep you in a loaner? Maybe, maybe not.

I’m not saying they shouldn’t cough up a loaner for warrantable repairs, but it’s certainly not common practice.

If your stealership does the repair, you should ask about parts availability but honestly, that’s a crap shoot. You call, schedule the repair and ask about the parts and sure, they’re in stock but the day you show up 4-15 days later, that same set has already been used and maybe or maybe they don’t have the same parts in stock. I agree they CAN get the parts from another stealership but they won’t want to.

Leave the doggone thing alone until you get the repair.

Good luck with your repair. I’m glad I got the truck I got, moonroof and all.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The fragile, maintenance intensive and breakage prone Ford twin panel moonroof broke, that’s what and no, there’s not an easy fix for it, unless you’re handy at bodyshop kind of work.

he’s past the lube point, it’s broke.

First, make sure your stealership --actually does-- the repair or if they contract it out. My former stealership didn’t and contracted the repair, essentially doubling the wait time, scheduling and it didn’t help that they took the parts for my truck’s repair and gave them to some other schmo.

So, where does it say you’re entitled to a loaner for a warrantable repair, I want to peruse that. Let’s set that aside for a minute. For any repair presented, the vehicle first has to be evaluated to determine if it’s warrantable. If it is, and there’s doc like an SSM, TSB, etc. they’ll follow that --or not--. the cam phaser doc says to evaluate, not tear the engine down and that the customer can drive the vehicle but we have some users who had the whole front end torn off, left without the truck while they waited for parts, sometimes months for the perpetually “nationally back ordered” hard parts. So, your repair might meet whatever loaner requirements might, or might not exist, and let’s say you’ve got a repair that qualifies and you can have a day for a loaner, but your stealership has to wait on parts for 2 weeks, will the stealership keep you in a loaner? Maybe, maybe not.

I’m not saying they shouldn’t cough up a loaner for warrantable repairs, but it’s certainly not common practice.

If your stealership does the repair, you should ask about parts availability but honestly, that’s a crap shoot. You call, schedule the repair and ask about the parts and sure, they’re in stock but the day you show up 4-15 days later, that same set has already been used and maybe or maybe they don’t have the same parts in stock. I agree they CAN get the parts from another stealership but they won’t want to.

Leave the doggone thing alone until you get the repair.

Good luck with your repair. I’m glad I got the truck I got, moonroof and all.

I think this is a bit dramatic.

Not all dealers are the same. I’ve had a completely different experience than what you’ve posted. While I’m not a fan of dealerships, some actually do care.

Loaner information is noted in the warranty guide. I literally posted it.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
I’ll have a look at the WG; I’m out of the 3/36 anyway but I do want to know. My former stealership was pretty good for other repairs, particularly the door lock recall, which I made several factors more fun by dynamat-ing the doors. I think I’d find a lot of Rap owners in agreement with my ‘overly dramatic’ description of its rather delicate nature.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ll have a look at the WG; I’m out of the 3/36 anyway but I do want to know. My former stealership was pretty good for other repairs, particularly the door lock recall, which I made several factors more fun by dynamat-ing the doors. I think I’d find a lot of Rap owners in agreement with my ‘overly dramatic’ description of its rather delicate nature.
believe me. I was right there with you on this issue however, it was all for nothing. I communicated with my sales guy and the SM and it was all sorted. I was surprised.

RickC

Reaction score
So I have a similar situation. My roof was open and would not close. It would get to within 4 inches of closing and roll back to full open. It took about 15 tries before it finally closed all the way. I'm scheduled to have it looked at on 10/2...yeah that far out in scheduling with the dealer. In looking at previous posts, most have a broken track just like you all have said and everybody agrees that the replacement is better than the original.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
yep that’s what I’ve been using, comes in a tiny tube but as others say little goes a long way...have 31k miles on truck ive performed this maintenance 3x maybe 4 & have 2/3 of the tube left

I picked some up as well, but also, if you use the Stealership service department for any reason - warranty, routine service, whatever - ask them to throw in a lube on your moon roof. I’ve had this done twice, confirmed they did it, and they didn’t charge for it either time. It’s not something thew will regularly do with routine service unless you ask.

BHook

Reaction score
Just replaced my tracks (FL3Z-1651070-C Glass Panel Bracket Kit) last weekend, ordered form Tasca Parts a couple of months ago. Parts were on backorder for a while. Job was fairly easy (youtube videos). Once job was complete, I found another piece of broken track that I failed to remove prior to installing the new tracks. So, if you're doing the repair yourself, ensure to carefully inspect the entire track for broken parts so they do not damage the new parts.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I picked some up as well, but also, if you use the Stealership service department for any reason - warranty, routine service, whatever - ask them to throw in a lube on your moon roof. I’ve had this done twice, confirmed they did it, and they didn’t charge for it either time. It’s not something thew will regularly do with routine service unless you ask.

i ain’t letting a ford dealer touch my truck unless it needs to go in for free warranty work man...I love some of their vehicles, but I’ve owned quite a few makes & have never been more underwhelmed by a service dept in general than by Ford’s....