Moonroof snapped.....again!

BigDinNoCo

Reaction score
2018'er here. Had the horrible moonroof track snap sound a while back & had it replaced under warranty. Being the careful person I am, I did my research, bought the expensive Krytox stuff & applied 4 times a year. Always vented the new one before opening and then a couple days ago....I vented it, opened it, closed it, stopped at the liquor store, got back in no more than 10 minutes later, opened it & SNAP! My question is (& I did search quite a bit on this forum, but apologize if I missed this) does someone make a better track so this hopefully won't happen again? Does the TSB include an upgraded track from Ford by now? I really love the moonroof, & use it a couple times a week from Spring to Fall & then a few days through the Winter (Northern Colorado), so I don't want to just leave it broken in the fortunate closed position, but I hate having to pray every time I open it.

thatJeepguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 04 grand Cherokee. A retractable sunroof that has never been greased, never, not once. It still works perfectly. I test drove 3 gen 2’s prior to purchasing. 1 out of 3 sunroofs broke during the test drive. I don't understand it. And whats even more baffling is the suggestion of using only one super expensive grease?

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the edges are lubricated correctly the system works perfectly. If there is something else wrong in the installation (originally or subsequently) it will cause these problems. Your environment also may have a part in the issue since you’re having multiple problems. I’ve had sunroof glass shatter (not a Ford) while driving before as well. I replaced it and kept the vehicle another 10 years with no problems.

I know, I’m just “lucky” with my 2018…

OP
OP
B

BigDinNoCo

Reaction score
If the edges are lubricated correctly the system works perfectly. If there is something else wrong in the installation (originally or subsequently) it will cause these problems. Your environment also may have a part in the issue since you’re having multiple problems. I’ve had sunroof glass shatter (not a Ford) while driving before as well. I replaced it and kept the vehicle another 10 years with no problems.

I know, I’m just “lucky” with my 2018…
I can agree with the environment having an effect as Colorado weather changes in a heartbeat, but I did maintain it and it was working great because of that. I'm saying it's possible that when I got back in after a 10 minute stop I may have just reopened it and didn't vent it first. That is one of the things that seems absolutely insane to me and if I fix it or get it fixed, I will never ever open it without venting first and then even giving it extra assist by hand to fully open even after venting it, and cleaning it, and greasing it, and praying, and puckering, and on and on and on.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had my sunroof 'pop' a couple years back, and just the other day it appears to have done it again. Not quite as bad, and it was able to close...this time. I've somewhat resolve to just never open it again.

isis

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Seems like an opportunity for the aftermarket. I wonder why nobody has made improved pieces with the number of F150s out there.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have an 04 grand Cherokee. A retractable sunroof that has never been greased, never, not once. It still works perfectly. I test drove 3 gen 2’s prior to purchasing. 1 out of 3 sunroofs broke during the test drive. I don't understand it. And whats even more baffling is the suggestion of using only one super expensive grease?
Same with my Grand Cherokee. The difference between that an an F-150 pano roof is the size and weight of the glass combined with a sealing surface area that is multiple times larger.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2018'er here. Had the horrible moonroof track snap sound a while back & had it replaced under warranty. Being the careful person I am, I did my research, bought the expensive Krytox stuff & applied 4 times a year. Always vented the new one before opening and then a couple days ago....I vented it, opened it, closed it, stopped at the liquor store, got back in no more than 10 minutes later, opened it & SNAP! My question is (& I did search quite a bit on this forum, but apologize if I missed this) does someone make a better track so this hopefully won't happen again? Does the TSB include an upgraded track from Ford by now? I really love the moonroof, & use it a couple times a week from Spring to Fall & then a few days through the Winter (Northern Colorado), so I don't want to just leave it broken in the fortunate closed position, but I hate having to pray every time I open it.
As Twizzlestix mentioned, it sounds like you have a separate issue unrelated to the glass sticking. It’s possible the dealer improperly repaired it on the last service visit, or there’s damage to the frame that’s causing a repeat problem. I would suggest bringing it back to the dealer so they can determine the root cause of the repeat failure.

thatJeepguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same with my Grand Cherokee. The difference between that an an F-150 pano roof is the size and weight of the glass combined with a sealing surface area that is multiple times larger.
Very true, in fairness it is a fraction of the size.