Moonroof leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shoottherock

Reaction score
Can owners run a hose on their roofs and video how much water is entering the cab?

I'm trying to see how much is normal. I know there's variances due to manufacturing.

To me, my video is too much. It's coming in as a steady stream on both sides where the split panel meet the body.

I'm not pouring the water right on top of the seals. I was standing in the bed letting it run side to side while washing off the roof.

https://youtu.be/_dT-lCdUzZU

Last edited:

ManfromSnowyRiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
0 is acceptable. I have a 20 year old Montero and never had a leak. Actually I had several over the years. Sooo, if they could make hundreds of thousands of them in teh 1990s, they can make ones that dont leak now.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In a high pressure wash scenario some water getting past the seals is ok (thats why there are drains installed inside the cab) but in a low pressure situation like driving in the rain or washing with a garden hose and nozzle zero water should be getting in.

Take it in.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
0 is acceptable. I have a 20 year old Montero and never had a leak. Actually I had several over the years. Sooo, if they could make hundreds of thousands of them in teh 1990s, they can make ones that dont leak now.

Not only that, current production will go for decades without leaking if they’re done right. I traded a car with a big @ss moon roof and it never leaked a drop in 10 years.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've had double panel moon roofs in more than 6 Ford vehicles and none of them have leaked, even a little. This is not normal, nor is it common.

Last edited:

NJSP117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can owners run a hose on their roofs and video how much water is entering the cab?

I'm trying to see how much is normal. I know there's variances due to manufacturing.

To me, my video is too much. It's coming in as a steady stream on both sides where the split panel meet the body.

I'm not pouring the water right on top of the seals. I was in the bed letting it run side to side.

https://youtu.be/_dT-lCdUzZU

Is that video inside a 17 Raptor? The roof looks too small.