Moon roof rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

salcolkat

Reaction score
I have a 2017 raptor. i have a rattling noise coming from my moon roof when i go over bumps. It goes away when i open the moon roof. The dealer wants to take it to a body shop to trouble shoot it. I would rather try to see if i can fix it myself. Has anyone had this problem and if so do they know where the noise is coming from. BTW the noise started when it got cold.
Thanks in advance

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got it too. Seems to be coming from the passenger side.

Yup, open it it goes away. Even opening and closing it helps for a bit. Crank the tunes and it goes away lol

I’m gonna look at it myself when it warms up. Maybe some black foam weatherstripping - the thin stuff.

Tagged for interest.

Clockton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the whole mechanism replaced. No more rattler Mine rattle on the passenger side as well. If your issue is similar it will continue to get worse and the roof won't eventually open

OP
OP
S

salcolkat

Reaction score
I got it too. Seems to be coming from the passenger side.

Yup, open it it goes away. Even opening and closing it helps for a bit. Crank the tunes and it goes away lol

I’m gonna look at it myself when it warms up. Maybe some black foam weatherstripping - the thin stuff.

Tagged for interest.
Thanks

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just replied to another thread w/ OP saying he found a "fix" for sunroof rattle which sounded like dousing the weatherstripping in silicone.......

I researched these roofs quite a bit before purchase, consensus seems to be use 'em too much or not enough & they're prone to break, sliding open w/o popping up to vent after the 2 rubber seams get "stuck" together from going from wet to dry also contributes, there are plastic hinges that can snap (you'll hear a pop) & then little bits break off into the rails causing malfunction or the panel to get stuck. Cleaning & lubing the rubber seams w/ Krytox silicone paste - particularly the back edge that meets the fixed panel, will help keep everything running smoothly.

I THINK I started to hear a rattle from mine - 2018 w/ only 2500 miles - I bought an extended warranty pretty much solely for this sunroof. The weatherstripping isn't covered, so if you DO happen to develop a leak & it may be related to weatherstripping you should make sure the hinges or some other part is also broken so they will replace whole unit.

Good news - now that we all know this it can be mitigated/prevented by a little maintenance and being careful how you operate it, still - seems prone to break. At least its common enough its been well documented/diagnosed & there appears to be 2-3 main reasons for noise/leaks/malfunction. The first of the below 3 links I find most helpful as I do believe those mounting tabs to be a culprit & that can be a VERY simple fix if that's what it winds up being. Where is the best place to get this Krytox stuff? The dealer the only option?

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/possible-sunroof-creaking-rattle-fix-391434/

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/possible-sunroof-creaking-rattle-fix-391434/index3/