GEN 2 Moon roof malfunction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaulDuke

Reaction score
Just had a bit of a road trip and my moon roof/ sun roof won't close all the way. Tinkering with it (forcing it closed) eventually resolved the issue of getting it closed but the issue remains. So glad it broke right when socal is getting another round of rain.

I was wondering if anyone on here has had this problem? Doing a bit of research online, I've seen older models of the f150 have similar problems...

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I limit mine (Gen1) to the tilt function, and rarely that, as I've read the same stories about the flimsy plastic snapping. And my luck it would happen in a downpour heh. Have warranty or extended? Unfortunately I don't know of any upgrade or easy fix beyond just not using it, or knowing if you do at some point it will fail...

OP
OP
RaulDuke

RaulDuke

Reaction score
I limit mine (Gen1) to the tilt function, and rarely that, as I've read the same stories about the flimsy plastic snapping. And my luck it would happen in a downpour heh. Have warranty or extended? Unfortunately I don't know of any upgrade or easy fix beyond just not using it, or knowing if you do at some point it will fail...
Still under warranty so there's that. Scheduling a fix with my dealer today.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I too read about some issues on these sunroofs & did a little digging before making deal on a new ‘18 I’ll be taking delivery of tomorrow. Was having 2nd thoughts b/c of the sunroof but ultimately am not letting that deter me from the purchase. I got a 5 year 100k extended warranty & also found that in the event there is an issue seems like there are a few easy fixes & preventative maintenance like cleaning/lubing the weather stripping. I like how it makes the cab feel bigger & also makes the truck/interior feel more upscale.

I’ll orobably tint the panels & also limit use to mostly just vent function TBH tho.

Derrick Hernandez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just recently had issues with my moon roof not working. Tries to open it and it made some loud pooping noise. Would not open but cracked opened then I couldn't get it to close therefore not being able to close the shade. I'm currently out of warranty. Just purchased it used about 2 months ago.

robinthepilot

Reaction score
I had the mine repaired twice under warranty and when it happened again I was out of warranty and they told me $4000 Canadian to have it fixed. Trust me I never try to open it anymore.

Rob O

Reaction score
Common problem with Gen 2 F150s (in general). Happened twice to my 2015 Platinum ... loud "pop" when putting the roof in Vent position (tilt up), then it would slide open (instead) and couldn't be closed. Last time it happened, it was more than a month to have repaired (partly because that dealership sucked). I had to secure a tarp over the roof with gorilla tape, because I live in the PNW where it happens to rain a bit. Looked super classy on my $65k truck. LOL.

I think the key is to pop it open regularly, even if just for a minute. The rubber/felt seals around the edge of the glass seem to fuse to the seals on the truck over time, especially over wetter months. I open the roof on my Raptor almost every time I drive, just to keep it from welding itself shut and break later.