Moon roof Broken

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I tried using the search and found a thread where they said the whole assembly needs to be replace there are no parts to replace.
I'm just making sure this is correct.

I tried to open mine today and heard two popping noises and can hear something moving back and forth but the moon roof stays put.
Tilt does not work either.

Before I waste my time removing the head liner and all, I'm just wondering if anybody was able to fix the broken track on their own.
I'm still under warranty but don't want to lose my truck for a few days.

Last edited:

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If this is covered under warranty, just have them replace it. I've had mine out and that thing is friggin heavy. I've also had mine replaced under warranty, 2 days with a rental car. I know there's a thread where some have purchased aftermarket parts to DIY it, but it just doesn't make sense if it's covered. Also, with a Scab, the headliner can be removed easily. Not sure about the Screw with B pillars.

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 AM ----------

Found it, Sun Roof Doctor, GL
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f39/broken-sunroof-41267/index2.html#post842864

---------- Post added at 08:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 AM ----------

2000-2012 Ford F150 / F250 / F350 / Expedition Sunroof Repair Kit

OP
OP
MTF

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dropped my truck off today for Monday's appointment.
Sunroof started leaking even though I prop it up with firm foam. I kindly ask if they can store her inside, no problem.
I'm guessing the plastic parts are blocking the drain tube on the passenger side, water was coming out the handle on the front pillar.

BigGriff023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same exact thing happened to mine about 4-5 months ago. The dealer replaced the entire assembly except for the glass under warranty. I have always had a wind thumping noise on the freeway and the shade slide never seems to seal all the way.

OP
OP
MTF

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well it took 7 business days but I got her back sunroof all fixed.
I'm sure glad I got the 7 year 100K ESP premium warranty, the work that has been done so far in the 6 years, paid for warranty many times over.
So much so that I will buy another plan next year when it's time.
I still only have 24K miles on her and it's my DD. LOL
Waiting to hear back from the dealer on my options.

Update:

Dealer can sell me another 4 years of ESP next year with a disappearing deductible. If work is done at another dealer it's $100 deductible.
Cost $3,237.03 with tax.
I still think it's worth it, the truck will be 11 years old by the end, plenty of stuff can go wrong by then.

Last edited:

FordFanStan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's ridiculous that some of these items are not covered even when out of warranty when obviously its a design flaw. Mine broke twice, first time under warranty and it was over a $1k on the service bill that was covered, second time I couldn't afford that so I did it myself with the sunroof doctor kit. The R&R on the sunroof frame was an extreme bitch to do by myself, but it's do-able.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
It's ridiculous that some of these items are not covered even when out of warranty when obviously its a design flaw. Mine broke twice, first time under warranty and it was over a $1k on the service bill that was covered, second time I couldn't afford that so I did it myself with the sunroof doctor kit. The R&R on the sunroof frame was an extreme bitch to do by myself, but it's do-able.

Yeah doing that R&R is terrible. I did it when mine broke in the open position and I had to remove the entire thing to get it to lock down in the correct spot. I'd honestly say it sucked more than removing the dash to do the HVAC blend doors. All told I was about 8-9 hours deep by the time I was done. Having a buddy would have cut that in half I think. I wish I had known about the Sunroof Dr. kit, I don't know that I can bring myself to drop that thing again to fix it.