Mods and paint question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ORIF

Reaction score
I own a 2018 screw. No mods other than fog lights for hunting. I am interested in some performance mods, but I am not a savvy “car guy.” Basically, I know enough to be dangerous.

Anyway, I was looking at the JMS Boost Max and Pedal Max as they are plug and play. Are these good and will they affect warranty.

As an aside, I did a couple of chip repairs on my hood from rocks with the (Ford) paint pen with clear coat brush on the other end. Not at all pleased with brush so I sanded with 1500 and 3000 wet but I was still a little aggressive. I have small patches where the clear coat was sanded in a larger area around chips. Any advice/products to repair clear coat.

thanks in advance

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did you sand through the clear? If so the hood will have to be resprayed, if not try rybbing compound followed by polish. It is worth doing a clear bra on these, the large flat panel facing dead forward is just begging for rock chips.

OP
OP
O

ORIF

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I don’t think I sanded through the clear coat. I’ve seen these cans of clear coat spray for patching. I didn’t know if they were really worth trying. I will try the compound and polish first. Thanks again

cayenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple tips... DO NOT attempt to patch clear coat if it is even needed. Leave this to the pro's, I'm making the assumption based on your post that you don't have tons of experience with paint.

Would also avoid using something has coarse as 1500 grit on a touch up. Always start 2K or more, I typically start leveling with 3K and then move to 5K then polish. Also, make sure you are sanding with a block, or eraser etc that keeps the sandpaper level while you wet sand. You did wet sand right?

If you have the touch up paint leveled up within reason to the surrounding clear, go ahead and start polishing. Unless you sanded very aggressively with the 1500 grit, I doubt you blew through the clear. A polish with a DA will pull the sanding marks out, but if you left any 1500 grit marks behind, those will need extra work.

OP
OP
O

ORIF

Reaction score
Thanks again. I don’t have much experience with paint body stuff. I can do oil spark plugs etc.

I checked and it was 2 k and 3 k so hopefully no damage to clear coat. I will try polish.

RadRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A bit of advice from the Body shop girl, any type of clear sprayed over existing coating will look like CRAP and possibly even react unless you have the right materials and lots of experience. When customers ask to touch up rock chips, we use base only.... and it still doesn't look that good. Now depending on where you are at, painting a hood and blending fenders (depending on color) maybe 1500 bucks... so 3K is Raptor gouging.. I agree with the others, clear mask is cheap insurance...