Modifying transmission dip stick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pretty sure if the fluid is cold and you haven’t started it in a while, like over night it won’t run out either. Once fluid get warm it need to be running though.
When cold, the level of the fluid in the transmission is ABOVE the dipstick opening. Pull the dipstick while the thing is cold, and all of the fluid above that level will pour out. It's a mess worth avoiding.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When cold, the level of the fluid in the transmission is ABOVE the dipstick opening. Pull the dipstick while the thing is cold, and all of the fluid above that level will pour out. It's a mess worth avoiding.
I went back and looked at my old posts when I installed the Bm dipstick and I couldn’t find the one I was looking for, but I am 90% sure I installed the new dipstick while the truck was cold and the fluid did not run out.

ATF has a thermal expansion of like 0.0007% per degree C. 70*F to 200*F is ~72*C so that is .0091Quarts per degree C. So cold to hot would be something like half a quart difference.

I don’t know the area of the pan at the level of the dip stick, but I could see half a quart making a difference.

Anyways I’m tired, been a long day and my math may be off as I did it on my phone while watching a movie.

Long story short. I am pretty sure that engine off with transmission cold will not flow out once you crack open the dip stick. Trans hot with engine off will certainly overflow.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I went back and looked at my old posts when I installed the Bm dipstick and I couldn’t find the one I was looking for, but I am 90% sure I installed the new dipstick while the truck was cold and the fluid did not run out.

ATF has a thermal expansion of like 0.0007% per degree C. 70*F to 200*F is ~72*C so that is .0091Quarts per degree C. So cold to hot would be something like half a quart difference.

I don’t know the area of the pan at the level of the dip stick, but I could see half a quart making a difference.

Anyways I’m tired, been a long day and my math may be off as I did it on my phone while watching a movie.

Long story short. I am pretty sure that engine off with transmission cold will not flow out once you crack open the dip stick. Trans hot with engine off will certainly overflow.
It's not that the fluid expands, it's where it is. I am not an automotive engineer and I might be wrong, but I think that when the engine isn't running the torque converter slowly drains fluid into the pan. At any rate, there is a reason why you check transmission level with the engine is hot and running and not when it's cold and not running.

Cheap Experiment: Use your B&M dipstick and check the transmission fluid level in the morning after the truck has sat overnight, and compare it with the reading you get when it's hot and running.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's not that the fluid expands, it's where it is. I am not an automotive engineer and I might be wrong, but I think that when the engine isn't running the torque converter slowly drains fluid into the pan. At any rate, there is a reason why you check transmission level with the engine is hot and running and not when it's cold and not running.

Cheap Experiment: Use your B&M dipstick and check the transmission fluid level in the morning after the truck has sat overnight, and compare it with the reading you get when it's hot and running.
A lot of vehicles that came with a trans dip stick have a hot and cold zone, the cold zone is lower on the stick than the hot zone.

Perhaps letting it sit overnight and not for a few days didn’t allow it to drain down very much, or there is some check valve that prevents drain back. Either way, I’m not sure, I just am pretty sure I installed the stick to do some test fitting when the engine wasn’t running and didn’t have any fluid escape.

My opinion as to why you check the fluid hot and with it running so so that you can get a precise and accurate measurement. I agree it is the correct way to check the fluid level. I would say you have to do it this way since there are more than one configurations with the hoses and coolers. You probably couldn’t get a good fluid level with a dipstick on a cold pan like you can with the oil.

I don’t have the dip stick installed anymore. Had too much trouble getting a good reading on the stick. I do plan to revisit it at some point in the future though.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When I did the trans service last summer, truck sat for a week before dropping pan, let drip for 24+ hrs. When I re-filled only 5 1/2 qts could be added, took Raptor to local ford dealer to check trans level and add more fluid if needed, it took 3 qts more. Conclusion: If you crack the factory dipstick open when cold you could possibly loose 2-3 qts. prove me wrong.