Modifying transmission dip stick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimster58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@R1jamn, there a few videos on the B&M dipstick, showing you to transfer your marks.

I didn't notice that before - would have been a nice touch for them to go a bit further and incorporate the marks. Might be a case of universal fit across several transmission models where the marks vary, but having specific dipsticks shouldn't have been much of a manufacturing inconvenience.

It's also described/illustrated in the installation pdf associated with the 22200 dipstick on B&M's website. Nothing a little trouble and a light touch with a Dremel tool can't easily remedy.

Last edited:

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Ruger where did you find this info? Did B&M tell you this?

Yeah, sort of. It's in the installation instructions. You can download and read them.

The instructions go into some detail into manipulating the dipstick assembly so that you learn what it can tolerate and still function as intended. It makes me think that the marks might be different depending how you've got it installed and what kind of bends you've put it through.

I'd still like to hear how the PM dipstick installs. (hint, hint)

Last edited:

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, sort of. It's in the installation instructions. You can download and read them.

The instructions go into some detail into manipulating the dipstick assembly so that you learn what it can tolerate and still function as intended. It makes me think that the marks might be different depending how you've got it installed and what kind of bends you've put it through.

I'd still like to hear how the PM dipstick installs. (hint, hint)

Both B&M and PA dipsticks install in the same fashion , difference between the 2 is, B&M all fittings screw together, PA dip stick adapter screws into trans and the rest is pressed in using rubber seal, both are nice products, cost close to same, just up to what makes you more comfortable using.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
B&M has their dipsticks back in stock now.
I've got mine ordered.
This is going to make servicing the transmission a LOT less painful!
Many thanks to @Jimster58 for pointing me in the right direction.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Received my B&M dipstick via UPS today.
B&M threw in a very nice folding camp chair for FREE!
The dipstick is very well made. It's more like a "dip cable" than a dip stick. Very flexible cable with unmarked metal stick on the end covered and protected by a flexible braided stainless steel cover. The dip cable screws into the upper mount, and is sealed with a substantial O-ring. The lower mount (on the transmission) is sealed with what appears to be a neoprene washer. I am looking forward to the installation and use of this thing. It's going to save my knuckles from getting more burn scars.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R1jamn

R1jamn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking forward to the installation and use of this thing.

@Ruger take pics and give us a review.
It appears the level is taken by installing the dipstick into the upper inlet with the dipstick just resting on the top thread (not screwed in).

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Ruger
It appears the level is taken by installing the dipstick into the upper inlet with the dipstick just resting on the top thread (not screwed in).

No sir, that does not appear to be the case. Under the heading of Dipstick Use, the instructions read as follows:

"Remove the dipstick, wipe it off, and reinstall it all the way (with the knob fully hand tight). Then remove the dipstick again to check the fluid level."

OP
OP
R1jamn

R1jamn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No sir, that does not appear to be the case. Under the heading of Dipstick Use, the instructions read as follows:

"Remove the dipstick, wipe it off, and reinstall it all the way (with the knob fully hand tight). Then remove the dipstick again to check the fluid level."

B&M has conflicting information.
I watched this Youtube video and Steve from B&M installed this dipstick onto a 2011 Ford Raptor.
He clearly demonstrates that the dipstick is to be resting on the top of the housing inlet thread for checking trans fluid level.
The video references P/N 22200. Is this the same P/N you recieved?

Click B&M Dipstick P/N 22200 Video

The video was published just recently.