Modifying transmission dip stick

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Maintenance Forum' started by R1jamn, Jul 17, 2017.

1. ogdobber

ogdobber Full Access Member

When i say leather gloves i mean like this. They protect the heat very well, you could weld with them. I took my sweet time when i did it. Mechanix wear gloves are useless imo

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. R1jamn

R1jamn Full Access Member

I used the mechanics gloves to reach up and navigate the dipstick in and out of the filler hole. I found it to be a waste of time and energy as it was just to difficult and dangerous.

Leather will provide better protection.....Yes.
    You will still feel the heat if you lay any part of your gloved hand on the cat. That leather will transfer the heat if left on the cat for too long.
    Your hand will feel insulated then BAMM!!!! The heat is on you quick and you will peel the glove off in record time.

This mod elimates many of those issues.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  3. Ruger

Ruger FRF Addict

@R1jamn wrote: "A lift is preferable but the trans fluid temp was dropping below 193F quickly."

Transmission dipstick readings are done with the engine and transmission at operating temperature and with the engine running. How is it that the transmission fluid temperature was quickly dropping, R1jamn?

4. R1jamn

R1jamn Full Access Member

Ruger , the service manual specifically states to check the trans fluid level with the engine running and in Park with the trans fluid temp between 193F and 215F

I simply used the trans temp gauge on the info screen to monitor the trans fluid temp.
    I would drive until the fluid temp on the info screen reached 197F to 199F then drive back to the area I had my tools set up (flat area) and check the fluid level.

As far as the temp of the trans fluid dropping, it would go down to 190F at idle quickly and lower if it idled longer.
    I wasn't performing a test on how far the temp would drop though.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    RDFTS likes this.
  5. whoisbigman

whoisbigman Full Access Member

I've always wondered... we check fluid with engine running and at temp so converter is full and fluid is in all its little places. When engine is off, fluid settles into pan. Yours, mine, everyone's settles into pan and contracts due to cooling. Why not just make the mark at the cool not running mark and make it easy?

Jimster58 likes this.
  6. ogdobber

ogdobber Full Access Member

Not running it will overflow when properly filled hot or cold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. Ruger

Ruger FRF Addict

Absolutely true.
    (Don't ask me how I know.)

Which really, really makes me wonder (again) why Ford didn't provide a conventional transmission dipstick.

8. Jimster58

Jimster58 Full Access Member

Trick_Raptor, Ruger, tossty and 2 others like this.
  9. Ruger

Ruger FRF Addict

It would be absolutely perfect if the mounting bracket was mounted somewhere on the engine. That way when the engine/transmission/dipstick would all move together when the engine and trans mounts flex under torque. There's GOT to be a way to do this right.

Jimster58 likes this.
  10. Jimster58

Jimster58 Full Access Member

I would hope that they thought of this and accounted for it in the OAL of the tube/dipstick. I agree - affixed to the engine would be the ideal.