Mod help*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin Elkins

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Leadfoot that I bought new last year, and am finally looking to do a few mods here in about a month. I’m just trying to decide in which order I should do them, if I don’t decide to do them all at once. I know I could find what I’m looking for if I scrolled through these threads, but I figured these have been discussed so much that I could get solid feedback in one post.

First and foremost, I want to add meaner, tougher looking tires/wheels. I already have a level kit installed, so I should be able to clear 37’s... should I go 37? Or stick with 35? Pros/cons? Which tire do we recommend?

Next is obviously power gains. I know I’m going to get a tune, but which is the most popular/trusted among raptor owners? Which will I see most gains with?

Last but not least.... should I upgrade inter cooler and intake? If so, which do you guys recommend?

I appreciate your help. If you guys know of any good deals out there right now on things I might be looking for, send em my why. Thanks!

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Leadfoot that I bought new last year, and am finally looking to do a few mods here in about a month. I’m just trying to decide in which order I should do them, if I don’t decide to do them all at once. I know I could find what I’m looking for if I scrolled through these threads, but I figured these have been discussed so much that I could get solid feedback in one post.

First and foremost, I want to add meaner, tougher looking tires/wheels. I already have a level kit installed, so I should be able to clear 37’s... should I go 37? Or stick with 35? Pros/cons? Which tire do we recommend?

Next is obviously power gains. I know I’m going to get a tune, but which is the most popular/trusted among raptor owners? Which will I see most gains with?

Last but not least.... should I upgrade inter cooler and intake? If so, which do you guys recommend?

I appreciate your help. If you guys know of any good deals out there right now on things I might be looking for, send em my why. Thanks!

I'm in the same camp as you - purchased new 2018 in Feb of 2019 have 12k miles now & no big mods really. I've already done alot of the research myself, so FWIW here it goes:

I wouldn't waste a dime on bigger wheels/tires. You will lose performance on the street & potentially off of it too depending where you're going - total travel probably compromised & for ALL the other 1/2 tons out there that wannabe offroad trucks or Raptors, they ALL have to trim/cut/compromise to stuff a damn 35", usually rocking 4-6" lifts to accomodate. The RAM Powerwagon is a HD offroad truck w/ disconnecting front stabilizer & uses 33"s...the upcoming Ford Superduty Tremor offroad truck will ride on 35"s - they are PLENTY big for a Raptor. You do not need to "upgrade"

Tune is easily best bang for the buck, I haven't gotten one yet as I am waiting to see more feedback & see how the tuners that actually tune the tranny as well are working out. That being said, cross off ANY tune that doesn't touch the transmission programming - simply asinine to do 1 and not the other. MPT, 5 star, Gearhead all are known tuners for the F150 ecoboost & do tune the tranny....seems like 5 star has the lower reviews, MPT makes the most power & may be the most popular- but can also be too "harsh" or intense for some, & Gearhead is a very reputable tuner & who I most likely will go w/ however I am waiting for Livernois to debut a tune that also offers tranny programming - Livernois has been big w/ Fords turbo EB motors for the longest.

Sounds like the consensus on CAI is that they're not really worth the money nor do the give any performance until you are making much more power and/or upgrading turbos etc. a higher flow better quality drop-in filter for the stock box is probably best bet, otherwise get an intake for sound only - intake sound.

Intercooler - 1000000% a worthwhile upgrade, but many different options & price points. Truck will make more power & certainly more consistent/repeatable power w/ an upgraded intercooler even on stock tune - the ECM can adjust to take more advantage of the cooler IAT's. Personally I am interested in one that fits in the stock location for a few reasons #1) don't wanna fly the red mod flag @ the dealer w/ a giant FMIC noticeable through the grill head on or any time they open my hood for any kind of work period. In addition they may be robbing the engine from cooler air - jury seems to be out on that, but certainly clogging the fan space, some remove fans entirely. For stock location units I am looking @ Whipple, Garrett, Mishimoto, Injen.

I definitely think I'll upgrade the intercooler & will probably do it before I decide on a tune