Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Moab

Discussion in 'Off-Roading Your Raptor' started by jzweedyk, Mar 16, 2019.

1. jzweedyk

jzweedyk Full Access Member

1st thing is to get the Wells book on Jeep trails in Moab. He does a great job of describing the trails, the difficulty, and directions. Most trails are wide enough for a Raptor (except Kane Creek and Hey Joe canyon), but many are too difficult. Again the book describes the trails and what to expect. There are a lot of trails a stock Raptor can do.

Off-road in Moab, with stock wheels and tires, I run 14 to 16 PSI depending on how much rock crawling there is (14 for rock crawling). So gear must include a good air compressor. A cooler and lunch is required as there are not stores on the trails. Tire patch kit is always good, and a good GPS with trails on it for navigation. I use an I-Pad with Gaia installed, and Cal Topo maps, along with a Blue tooth GPS. Record the trail and it will give you a route to follow back out if you need it. It will also give you coordinates that can tie into the Well's book. Don't rely on your phone for maps, as there is no phone signals on most trails. So any GPS must have maps and trails downloaded.

Also temperatures can vary depending on the wind, if you are in a canyon or on top of a ridge, so bring clothing layers.

If you have any other questions, I will be glad to try and answer them.

Vegas_Sirk and Joey like this.
  2. jzweedyk

Today we took the RZR and Trail 1.jpg Trail 2.jpg Trail 3.jpg ran out to the Hey Joe trail, but turned south at the river instead of going into Hey Joe canyon. First picture is where we had lunch. Then we saw some wildlife. First time we have seen a rattler in Moab, although we knew they are here.

MDJAK likes this.
  3. f150jack

f150jack Full Access Member

damn that's a good one. Like others have said appreciate thread updates I plan on going hopefully next spring.

4. jzweedyk

On Thursday we took the Raptor and did the Onion Creek trail. It is an easy trail through some really cool scenery. It was cold that day so we didn't do much hiking but the drive was fun.

Trail 1.jpg Trail 2.jpg Trail 3.jpg Trail 4.jpg Trail 5.jpg

MDJAK, SVTTrooper and salvagediver like this.
  5. SVTTrooper

SVTTrooper Full Access Member

thanks for the pictures! I'm planning a 3 week road trip through the states and I'll definitely add this to my list of things to do. looks like a lot of fun!

jzweedyk likes this.
  6. bunkisland

bunkisland Full Access Member

Anyone combine an off road trip and mountain bike trip?

7. B E N

B E N Full Access Member

VkNRFlo7SbClhGE26JyUSA.jpg

8. jzweedyk

If it doesn't have a motor I don't ride it.

Vegas_Sirk likes this.
  9. jzweedyk

As we wind down our fall visit to Moab, we took the Jeep on Tuesday to Dome Plateau. I had to put the doors and top on, as it has been really cool (30 degrees Trail 1.jpg Trail 2.jpg Trail 3.jpg Trail 4.jpg Trail 5.jpg ) in the morning. We did most of the trail, saw the arch, and did the overlook, and then took back "roads" along the north side of Arches National Park all the way back to 191. That part of the "trail" is very Raptor friendly and you could take that all the way to the overlook and even the arch with the Raptor. Along the way we found an area full of old mines that we didn't even know existed. We have been coming to Moab for 21 years and we still find fun and interesting stuff each time, this place is amazing.

We plan on doing Poison Spider tomorrow in the RZR and then we leave on Monday for Vegas. Be back in Moab in March.

10. SVTTrooper

SVTTrooper Full Access Member

I [email protected]%king hate you! hahahaha.. wow these shots are unreal!!! wish I could drive down from Canada more often.