Moab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
jzweedyk

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Today was supposed to really hot again, so we took the Raptor and went out to the Anti-Cline overlook and the Needles overlook. Air conditioned comfort, cooled seats, and Sirius radio playing.

First we found a short trail that went behind "Looking Glass Arch", which was cool. Then we revved up the Raptor for a fun run out to the overlooks. Left a dust cloud probably a mile long, but it was fun. All told about 140 mile trip.Trail 1.jpg Trail 2.jpg Trail 3.jpg Trail 4.jpg Trail 5.jpg

OP
OP
jzweedyk

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As we wind down our spring visit to Moab (leave next Thursday), we decided to take the RZR up into Bull Canyon. We took a different way in. What I discovered is, bumping down large shelves is way easier than climbing up them. It turned a pretty easy trail into a challenging one for the RZR, but it was fun. Then after going to the mine (more washed out than ever) for lunch, we did Bull Fork Canyon, which is one of the prettiest canyons in MoabTrail 1.jpg Trail 2.jpg Trail 3.jpg Trail 4.jpg . Got back just as the clouds started to thicken and threaten rain.

I remember the Woodpeckers in Michigan, and I wanted to post a picture that shows we have Rockpeckers here in Moab. They leave big holes in the cliffs.

OP
OP
jzweedyk

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For our last Jeep trip for this spring in Moab, Some friends went with us up to Jimmy's Overlook. The line was long getting into Arches National Park, so we went in the back way, which added to the trail fun. The "hill" going up to Dry Mesa (south of the park) has NOT gotten any easier, but we made it. The trail has been hardly used, and there is grass growing in the tire area and flowers in the center of the trail. It was a cool day and mostly overcast and windy, so I was worried about being able to sit and have lunch. But as we got to the overlook, the sun came out and the wind died. So it was a great day, and a great view of Castle Valley. While on Dry Mesa you get a great view of the back side of "Windows" arches, north and south.
Trail 1.jpg Trail 2.jpg Trail 3.jpg Trail 4.jpg

OP
OP
jzweedyk

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We have returned to Moad because there is a pretty good chance our property will flood. Colorado had 180% of normal snowfall and almost all of that ends up in the Colorado River. So instead of going further from Moab, we came back, hopefully for a short while. It is hot here 94 today. So we took the Raptor and drove up to our favorite Castle Valley overlook for a picnic lunch. It was 15 degrees cooler up there.

Then we drove down by the river to get an idea of what is going on. It is very high, and supposed to rise another 4 feet by Saturday. The developer has built a **** around the property, so hopefully we will be OK. We are not here for the flood, but the clean-up. If it floods, we need to clean up and air out the building, otherwise when we get back in the fall it will be a mold and mildew mess.

Trail 1.jpg

Trail 2.jpg

Trail 3.jpg

OP
OP
jzweedyk

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Drove out to Castle Valley along the river to check it out. Pretty high. Saw a valley with water in it that I have never seen before. Had lunch at Red River Lodge and watched about 200+ people drift by in rafts. Perfect day for it.

Came back into town and went out to Ken's Lake. Last year at this time it was at 43% of normal, this year, 213% of normal.

Then we took the Raptor up the exit of Steel Bender trail to the creek crossing. The creek was raging (no we didn't attempt to cross). But it was fun to see.

Peak of the Colorado river is supposed to be Sunday night. It is supposed to go up about 3.5 feet more by then.

Trail 1.jpg

Trail 2.jpg

Trail 3.jpg

SS308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great pictures...thanks!

Are there a lot of "friendly" Raptor trails? My wife and I would like to visit that area.

OP
OP
jzweedyk

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Moab has LOTS of trails and roads that are scenic. From paved roads that are beautiful to super hard core trails. Buy the Wells 4x4 Moab book, he does a good job describing the trails and what can go on them.

I have done several in the Raptor (see this thread) but because I also have a Jeep and RZR I do not use the Raptor to it's fullest potential. If you have not been to Moab before, there are plenty of trails you can do in the Raptor.