Moab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waveslayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We took the Raptor and drove south past Monticello and did Montezuma Canyon and Dead Man Canyon. Montezuma has some cliff dwellings.

At the main old one (with the picture of the Raptor) we did find some more small pieces of pottery that they used back in the day. We found some the last time we were there about 3 years ago.

Some of the cliff dwellings were very old.
View attachment 122214 View attachment 122215

And some were a little newer

View attachment 122216 View attachment 122217
Need to get your GPS data on those trails. I did them years ago with my dad.

I love Montecillo

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

waveslayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My great great Uncle settled Monticello, a few places named after my family there. Great off roading and insane hunting! I will be out there if I draw a tag. Maybe some off roading and hunting, that would be a fun trip!

OP
OP
jzweedyk

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We took the RZR and went up Gemini Bridges road to 313 then took the Hey Joe Canyon road down to Spring Bottom Canyon and turned left (instead of right to Hey Joe Canyon) and went to the end. Stopped a couple of places to explore. Ran across three pickups and a van that was lost (they were supposed to be down Mineral Bottom). Took a "shortcut" on the way home which turned out to be a challenging trail. Went 100 miles total. My 1-1/2 month Trail 1.jpg Trail 2.jpg Trail 3.jpg old RZR now has 800 miles on it already. Beautiful day.

OP
OP
jzweedyk

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We took the RZR and tried to do Poison Spider, but there were 30 RZRs ahead of us and about 6 Jeeps. We got up to the second hairpin and saw the line going up the hill and turned around. Went out Shafer trail to our secret canyon. Some bushes are blooming and some cactus are starting to bloom. Got back before the rain started.Trail 1.jpg Trail 2.jpg

waveslayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are the best tour guide!

How would a stock 4 seater Razor do in Moab? An old 800?

OP
OP
jzweedyk

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You are the best tour guide!

How would a stock 4 seater Razor do in Moab? An old 800?

The real problem would be ground clearance. If you don't mind using the "skid plate" a lot, it will be fine. Go on moderate and easy trails (there are a lot) and have fun. The other option is to rent one here. There are many shops that rent RZRs and Jeeps. Both run about $ 300.00 a day, I believe. Best place in town to rent a Jeep is at Twisted Jeeps. They build their Jeeps to handle most trails. If you want to rent a RZR, check out Moab Side by Side, he does all my repairs and work on my RZRs, and also rents them.

OP
OP
jzweedyk

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Finally took the Jeep out on a trail. We have a Jeep rally here next week and I am leading two trails, so I thought I should pre-run the "Top of the World" trail s I haven't done it for a couple of years. The rally rated it as a 3 (out of 5) and I knew that was too low. It used to be a really bumpy relatively easy/moderate trail, not any more. If you want to know how bumpy the trail is, look in your dictionary and under "bumpy" there will be a picture of the trail. Anyway, while the scenery is still as spectacular as always, the trail is now a solid 4. If you read the book on Moab and see it as a moderate trail, I seriously recommend you do it in a built Jeep and not in your Raptor. When I informed the rally people of the change, they canceled that trail and now I am assigned to another trail, which if fine as I really didn't want to do it again next week. Trail 1.jpg Trail 2.jpg Trail 3.jpg Trail 4.jpg