Moab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Going to Moab for the first time with the family, and our 1.5 year old daughter will be in the truck.

What are your guys recommendations for fun scenic trails or must see spots that are family friendly? I.e., no jumping the truck, butt puckering slick rock crawling, or 70+ mph trail driving.
Why else would anyone go to Moab?

OP
OP
jzweedyk

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Going to Moab for the first time with the family, and our 1.5 year old daughter will be in the truck.

What are your guys recommendations for fun scenic trails or must see spots that are family friendly? I.e., no jumping the truck, butt puckering slick rock crawling, or 70+ mph trail driving.
Go to Potash and continue on the Shafer Trail, turn right at the T and go up to Canyonlands National Park up the switch backs. Also Onion Creek trail is very scenic. When you get to the top of the hill at the end turn around and go back. On the way you will go along the Colorado River and into Castle Valley which is beautiful and then on to Onion Creek Trail.

Get the Wells 4x4 book, it shows all the trails and rates them so you know what you are getting into.

Chris Mies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to Potash and continue on the Shafer Trail, turn right at the T and go up to Canyonlands National Park up the switch backs. Also Onion Creek trail is very scenic. When you get to the top of the hill at the end turn around and go back. On the way you will go along the Colorado River and into Castle Valley which is beautiful and then on to Onion Creek Trail.

Get the Wells 4x4 book, it shows all the trails and rates them so you know what you are getting into.

These are the trails I took and I agree with jz. The switchbacks are a bit intimidating, but they are plenty wide and easy to make the turns. You can also see Thelma and Louise point. Your lady might think that is cool.

I also did Gemini Bridges and I did not care for it. Not much scenery (without a hike) and very rough.

OP
OP
jzweedyk

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Still kinda hot, so took the Raptor up to the Anticline Overlook road/trail. Found a 4wd overlook trail that we didn't know was there. Some high speed, some mud (rained last night) and some rock crawling. One of the best overlooks in Moab, and I proved that a Raptor could do it.

Attachments

• Trail 1.jpg
    Trail 1.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Trail 2.jpg
    Trail 2.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Trail 3.jpg
    Trail 3.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 17
  • Trail 4.jpg
    Trail 4.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 16
  • Trail 5.jpg
    Trail 5.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 17

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Yesterday we took the RZR on a 90 mile trek out to Mineral Point and several overlooks out in that area. In the 20+ years of coming to Moab, we have never been out to that point before. There were some spectacular vistas.

View attachment 142144
Incredibly Beautiful, that part of our Country should be on everyone’s bucket list! The hiking is off-the-charts as well!
What camera set up are you using?

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
We did some more exploring yesterday. We drove up Long Canyon and got up to the plateau. Then we did a trail we found with the Raptor last fall, but it got a little dicey for the Raptor. It turns out it is a almost 5 mile trail and ends down at a Colorado River Overlook where you can look upstream and downstream, very cool. Then we found another spot that looked down on Long Canyon. In the last picture, for those that have done the Long Canyon trail, you can see the big rock you drive under on the trail.

View attachment 142389 View attachment 142390 View attachment 142391 View attachment 142392
I’ve never seen the Leaning Rock from above. Very cool! What trail to you use to get above? It it a continuation of Long’s Canyon?E07E66C1-E258-4275-A736-593527471FF9.jpeg

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
OP
OP
jzweedyk

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
"We" use a Canon G1X 24 meg camera. Actually my wife takes ALL the pictures, I just drive.

The trail looking down on the Leaning Rock is accessed from off the road that goes to the top Long Canyon. There are several "trails" that go north off that road, all end up at overlooks.

OP
OP
jzweedyk

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Today was still a little hot so we went out early in the RZR and did part of Behind the Rocks trail, and then did the Natural Arch Trail, which we had never done before. It was a very cool short trail that had an overlook, an arch and trail by some neat rock formations. For a relativity short trail it was spectacular. However, in my opinion, it is NOT Raptor friendly. I think you could do it in a Raptor, but don't blame me for damage.

Attachments

• Trail 1.jpg
    Trail 1.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Trail 2.jpg
    Trail 2.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Trail 3.jpg
    Trail 3.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Trail 4.jpg
    Trail 4.jpg