Moab Power Steering repair?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TDBrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All,

I'm in Moab this weekend doing some off-roading. When pulling into town this afternoon after a day on some fairly mild trails, the power steering failed. Anyone know a good place in Moab for this kind of repair? There have to be a ton of off-road shops around--though this is only my second time here and I don't have experience with any.

Also, this is a Gen 1, 2014, 80k miles, and this will be the third PS pump in the truck. I know it's a known problem in the Gen 1's. Is the only real fix for this a Howe power steering pump? Any other advice?

Thanks!

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can’t help you with the repair challenge. But there are other “solutions” out there other than Howe. RPG has a reservoir PSS has a res and cooler, GJ has a kit...I’d love to see a whole system+rack replacement but till then, I’m am putting together my own kit to help with more fluid and between cooling for a low cost.

Though frustrating in my opinion cost wise I can change out a factory pump 10x for the price of that Howe....

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Ford dealer has a pretty good parts department, but I am sure they are closed for the weekend. Most of the off road shops would have mostly Jeep parts. You might try Napa they are really good and in Moab carry a lot of parts for specialty vehicles. If they have the part, one of the off road shops would come in (for a fee) and install it.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you replaced the reservoir after the prior failures? It contains a screen/filter. It it’s not replaced after a pump fails, you will continue to have repeat failures.

OP
OP
T

TDBrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can’t help you with the repair challenge. But there are other “solutions” out there other than Howe. RPG has a reservoir PSS has a res and cooler, GJ has a kit...I’d love to see a whole system+rack replacement but till then, I’m am putting together my own kit to help with more fluid and between cooling for a low cost.

Though frustrating in my opinion cost wise I can change out a factory pump 10x for the price of that Howe....

Good point on pricing. I've looked at the reservoirs and coolers but haven't been convinced of their need. Clearly I was wrong.

The Ford dealer has a pretty good parts department, but I am sure they are closed for the weekend. Most of the off road shops would have mostly Jeep parts. You might try Napa they are really good and in Moab carry a lot of parts for specialty vehicles. If they have the part, one of the off road shops would come in (for a fee) and install it.

Thank you. On your recommendation I tried NAPA but they were closed today. I tried a couple off-road shops. One said they would do it this afternoon, but didn't have the part. So I parked it at the Ford dealer. Hopefully they can work on it tomorrow when they get in.

Have you replaced the reservoir after the prior failures? It contains a screen/filter. It it’s not replaced after a pump fails, you will continue to have repeat failures.

Thank you! I didn't know to ask for that, so I highly doubt it was done. I will ask for that specifically tomorrow.

Thanks again to all of you. Really appreciate you taking the time to offer advice.