Moab/monument valley?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

exx1976

Reaction score
I'm planning to head out that way second week of June. Bought the raptor to make the trip more fun. Never done any offroading before, even as a passenger. Truck is stock.

Anyone in the area, or will be in the area at the same time, care to meet up and show me the ropes?

Not sure exactly what day. Will be in MT the weekend prior, then planning a day or two in Yellowstone, then going to head down to arches by way of Jackson, WY. So, I guess we'll be there like the 12th/13th or something? Probably do a day at arches/Moab, a day at monument valley, then the grand canyon, maybe a night or two in Vegas then back home.

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like a great trip. Been trying to get the wife to take another trip to Moab. Already have plans on these dates or else I'd love to show you the ropes. Be sure to take pictures.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
Look at the Moki Dugway highway on your way from Arches to Monument Valley.

1344481.jpg

We did the opposite by going from Monument Valley to Arches so we had a climb. Going the route you go you'll be going down. Check out Valley of the God's at the bottom along with Goosenecks State Park. You'll be glad you did!

On the way to Monument Valley be sure to stop at the Forrest Gump spot... great view as you are heading to MV.

IMG_3441-XL.jpg

OP
OP
E

exx1976

Reaction score
I should be there Tuesday/weds. Up in Montana now, doing yellowstone tomorrow, staying in Jackson, then down to moab.

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hope you are taking tons of pictures... Don't forget Grand Teton NP while you are going through there from Yellowstone to Jackson ( not like you can miss it). I was just over the hill from there a few days ago in Victor, ID.
Enjoy your drive and post pictures when you can.

OP
OP
E

exx1976

Reaction score
@exx1976 Did you ever get a chance to do this trip? I'm going in July and looking for tips!

It was amazing. We are already planning a 2 week trip back to just Moab for offroading.

As for advice... I don't even know where to start. We just went out in stock trim, so we stuck to simple trails. Still had an amazing time.

Most restaurants in town close at 9 or 10 pm, so plan accordingly. Stay away from the steakhouse that's across the street and down a half block from Hampton Inn. Overpriced, average food, ****** service.

The Ford dealer on the south end of town is friendly and reasonably priced, but doesn't stock anything for raptors.

On the FAR south end of town is an offroad shop. On the right hand side, they have a tall sign on a post with the letters you can swap out like the old burger joint style. Parked near the road are some large offroad rigs. They are a tour company, but also sell offroad gear. You'll know you're in the right place if behind the counter you find a crazy cute blonde with a nose ring and some ink who knows her shit about the local trails. Go there, tell her the dude with the stock black raptor sent you. They sell trail books for.. $30 maybe? I forget. They are great. There's 80 different area trails in them, full color photos, odometer checkpoints, trail descriptions, and difficulty ratings. We grabbed one of those books and it was awesome. Highly recommended for a first timer (like us).

Across from the Ford dealer is a grocery store. They have boars head lunch meat. Plan on packing lunches for trails, you won't want to waste time coming all the way back to town to eat between runs. There's also a Starbucks in there.

The Hampton Inn is clean, comfortable, and reasonably priced, all things considered. Fuel is a bit pricey.

If you're going to do arches, skip the lines and go in on willow creek road, north of the park entrance, right off 191. It's about an 8 mile trail, and nothing too crazy. You should still pay at the visitor's center on the way out (unless you have a pass).

If you're going to offroad in canyonlands, a daily permit is required. They are free, and are dated. Arches has no such requirement. Canyonlands has a LOT more trails in it though.

Get maps of the parks from either the visitor center or the main gate entry dude. Very helpful for locating trails, and general info.

If you're going to hike anything, plan to get up at the ASS crack of dawn, before it gets hot. It was 113 in Moab last Wednesday.

Take lots of water, and Gatorade. Take salty snacks like pretzels or combos or something.

Try not to **** yourself up too badly. Offroad recovery costs $200/hr, and the clock starts when the dude leaves the shop.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info. We were there the week before you. Still hot, in the '90's. We did Arches at 7 AM before the heat and the crowd. No line, but had a Lifetime Pass anyway. By 9 AM the parking lots are nearly full. Long lines at the entrance when we came out. Stayed at one of the Best Westerns downtown, so all of the restaurants were within walking distance.

Next time you go, you have to see Dead Horse Canyon, and the petroglyphs/rock art along the Colorado just outside of town, as well as Natural Bridge and Goblin State Park going to or from.

OP
OP
E

exx1976

Reaction score
Good info. We were there the week before you. Still hot, in the '90's. We did Arches at 7 AM before the heat and the crowd. No line, but had a Lifetime Pass anyway. By 9 AM the parking lots are nearly full. Long lines at the entrance when we came out. Stayed at one of the Best Westerns downtown, so all of the restaurants were within walking distance.

Next time you go, you have to see Dead Horse Canyon, and the petroglyphs/rock art along the Colorado just outside of town, as well as Natural Bridge and Goblin State Park going to or from.

The road that the petroglyphs are on is potash road. Had to stayed on that road, it turns into a 4wd trail called Schaefer trail, and goes into canyonlands. You were THIS close.... Lol