Moab - Canyonlands

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CTK59

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Mexico, it ain't "new" & it ain't "mexico"
Finally got to take the Gen 3 out on some real terrain (have done some fire roads but that doesn't count) this past weekend, with it also being my first trip to Moab.

Only had one day to off-road, so I took Shafer Trail deep into Canyonlands. Trail was more fun than I was expecting with the rating being Easy by most websites. I had the ko2's about at 36F/34R, but would definitely like to air down more next time. It was an absolute blast off-road. Blew by many built Wranglers and Land Cruisers, and ate up everything I could find. Cannot wait to do more!

Ended up sleeping in the bed, as I ummm forgot a few things to my tent. That ended up working out quite well, or else I think my gf would have stabbed me. Whoops!
Another reference for Moab is Charles Well "Guide to Moab" nicely laid out and keep me out of trouble.

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got to take the Gen 3 out on some real terrain (have done some fire roads but that doesn't count) this past weekend, with it also being my first trip to Moab.

Only had one day to off-road, so I took Shafer Trail deep into Canyonlands. Trail was more fun than I was expecting with the rating being Easy by most websites. I had the ko2's about at 36F/34R, but would definitely like to air down more next time. It was an absolute blast off-road. Blew by many built Wranglers and Land Cruisers, and ate up everything I could find. Cannot wait to do more!

Ended up sleeping in the bed, as I ummm forgot a few things to my tent. That ended up working out quite well, or else I think my gf would have stabbed me. Whoops!
So did you do the trail that is switchbacks down to the bottom? I’m trying to figure out how to find this Shafer trail

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Shafer trail goes from Potash into Canyonlands National Park and then up the switch backs to the upper road (or you can do it in reverse). It ends on the paved road just inside the National Park gate. It is a Raptor friendly trail and very scenic.

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shafer trail goes from Potash into Canyonlands National Park and then up the switch backs to the upper road (or you can do it in reverse). It ends on the paved road just inside the National Park gate. It is a Raptor friendly trail and very scenic.
Thanks for the info! Which is better to do? Down and then take Potash out or take Potash and go up?

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I like going from Potash and then go up. It is a steep climb and I generally do it in 4 low to help out, but you really don't need to. I only do it for control and because it is easier on the transmission. If you come down you will need to use a lot of brake. Don't forget to stop and look at the view on the way up. I say stop, because people tend to steer in the direction they look, and you don't want to do that on that trail. You will really like the trail.

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like going from Potash and then go up. It is a steep climb and I generally do it in 4 low to help out, but you really don't need to. I only do it for control and because it is easier on the transmission. If you come down you will need to use a lot of brake. Don't forget to stop and look at the view on the way up. I say stop, because people tend to steer in the direction they look, and you don't want to do that on that trail. You will really like the trail.
Awesome tips. Thank you sir