Mixed 10w-30 w/ 5w-30!!@$%

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

{TEX}Hawaii ((

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did my first oil change this morning at 5,000 miles. Went to the local walmart and grabbed a 5 quart bottle of 5W-30 and 2 x 1 quart bottles. Here is where the problem started. The second one-quart bottle was improperly stocked and in fact a 10W-30 bottle. After I completed the change, I noticed the 1 quart bottle of 10W....

Now what? Should I do a complete oil and filter change again with all 5W?

ARH1956

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would leave it be as long as it's all the same brand and make up. If it was a part full synthetic and one quart mineral oil, or part Castrol and one quart Quaker State for instance I'd bite the bullet and change it again. If all is the same other than one being a slightly different weight I'd be fine leaving it.

blood

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a problem at all but 5-20 is recommended .
The reason behind this is tight tolerances and a 20 will get in these areas that a 30 wont until it heats up causing wear.

Last edited:

blood

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your even better being your also in a warmer climate,no problem at all.

Steele16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a problem at all but 5-20 is recommended .
The reason behind this is tight tolerances and a 20 will get in these areas that a 30 wont until it heats up causing wear.

The reason 5w20 is recommended in the US is to meet CAFE regulations. The same motors in Australia are spec'd to run 5w30. I've run 0w30 in mine since day one and the valvetrain is much quieter.

Allied Offroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your fine dude. The way I understand it, most oils are almost the same once the reach operating temps, its during cold start is where they differ.