Mishimoto R&D: 2015+ F-150 Aluminum Radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks promising! I think something like this is a no-brainer for anyone adding power or moving the intercooler up to the upper grill area. More power = more heat, and it’s not a linear curve.

Do you intend to do any testing with popular mods such as relocated intercoolers and/or lights mounted behind the grill?

Thank you! We'll be testing this on the Raptor that we've been developing the radiator on, which is running a 93 octane tune, our intercooler and piping - not so much that might block airflow like a relocating intercooler or piping though.

Thanks again,
-Steve

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Thank you! We'll be testing this on the Raptor that we've been developing the radiator on, which is running a 93 octane tune, our intercooler and piping - not so much that might block airflow like a relocating intercooler or piping though.

Thanks again,
-Steve
Your going to want to test it with other relocated intercoolers, realistically anyone who buys a new radiator will probably be someone who wants to do a frame cut bumper/intercooler. Knowing that it will fit and function properly is key; not will severely limit the potential customers.

Alford78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m with @Booth9999 and most likely all the others that have actually spent good coin on our trucks.

If one were to do a study on the amount of people that have spent money on upgrading ICs, bumpers, suspension, tunes, etc... I’d wager that out of those that have opted for upgraded ICs the majority have chosen the front mount IC for several reasons.

An upgraded radiator would be up at the very top of my next modifications list if it fit and worked properly behind my SVC IC. There’s not much better than a cool running truck especially in the dunes!!

Bests and look forward to any info that can be gathered when used with front mount ICs.

Alex

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any update on this? Needing a new radiator in a bad way here in AZ!

I should have another update for you in a couple weeks and the pre-sale launch should be coming around the same time! Our target to begin actually shipping these radiators is the end of June or early July.

I’m with @Booth9999 and most likely all the others that have actually spent good coin on our trucks.

If one were to do a study on the amount of people that have spent money on upgrading ICs, bumpers, suspension, tunes, etc... I’d wager that out of those that have opted for upgraded ICs the majority have chosen the front mount IC for several reasons.

An upgraded radiator would be up at the very top of my next modifications list if it fit and worked properly behind my SVC IC. There’s not much better than a cool running truck especially in the dunes!!

Bests and look forward to any info that can be gathered when used with front mount ICs.

Alex

Thanks for the feedback, Alex. While I can't speak to the fitment of our rad with a relocated intercooler, I can say that in our experience adding coolers in front of another cooler usually doesn't drastically reduce the covered cooler's efficacy. As long as the fins on the cooler in front aren't extremely tight and the cooler isn't extremely thick, you can expect to see very little drop in performance, if any. After all, if you're running the stock radiator with a relocated intercooler and it's not overheating, the benefits of our radiator should still scale.

That being said, I will still pass the feedback on to the team and see if we can do any testing on a truck with a relocated intercooler. The hardest part will likely be finding a local volunteer...

Thanks again,
-Steve

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

Here's the last post as promised! This time we go over our test fit and dyno testing. The radiator performed really well in the modified Raptor, so we look forward to hearing how it works in your trucks. Check it out below and let us know what you think!

Thanks,
-Steve

Everyday Hercules – Aluminum Radiator R&D, Part 3: Production
mmrad-f150-15_Cover.jpg

As summer begins here in Delaware, it’s quickly becoming the season of trailers with boats, jet skis, and campers filling the roads. Most of those trailers are pulled behind massive, oversized trucks that look like they rolled off the showroom floor yesterday. While there’s nothing wrong with taking pride in your truck and keeping it clean, my favorite thing to see on the road is the F-150 that still has the toolbox in the back and mud on the tires, towing an old aluminum fishing boat. The drivers of the shiny behemoths might scoff at it from a few feet up, but that F-150 has been that driver’s Hercules. You know that truck and its owner have done some work.

Summer is also an opportune time to finish our 2015+ F-150 / 2017+ Raptor radiator. But before we move into the final phase of development, let’s look at how we got here. Our first post in this series focused on the stock radiator. Much like our 2011-2014 F-150 radiator, we found that Ford offered multiple cooling options for the 2015+ F-150 and Raptor. Never ones to take the easy road, we decided to out-cool Fords most efficient radiator found in the 2017+ Raptor and some 3.5L EcoBoost F-150s.

MM5158.jpg

We started development by measuring the stock radiators and sorting out which features needed to be carried on to our radiator. One of the bigger challenges would be incorporating an in-tank transmission cooler into the larger radiator. To find out if our design was feasible, we then created a prototype radiator using our 3D printers to make true-to-life end tanks. Our fabricator welded together an aluminum frame to act as the radiator core and we had a prototype.

MG_0441.jpg

Our previous post ended with a successful test fit of that prototype and the beginning of our wait for a production sample. With the arrival of spring came that very production sample and the final steps of development.

Continue Reading...