Misfire Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beinkounter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The TSB 19-2286 does not apply to Raptors. @Beinkounter, the dealership did not read the TSB carefully. The restricted muffler issue ONLY applies to F-150 Limited models, which received the 3.5 HO engine for the 2019 model year. Installing the mufflers from the TSB on a Raptor will not correct any issues and will only change the sound of the exhaust (quieter).

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 19-2286
3.5L EcoBoost High Output - Lack Of Power And/Or Misfire With Or Without DTCs P0300 Through P0306 - Built On Or Before 1-Jun-2019
20 September 2019

Model:

Ford
2019 F-150

Issue: Some 2019 F-150 vehicles with the Limited series package built on or before 1-Jun-2019 equipped with a 3.5L EcoBoost high output engine may exhibit a lack of power and/or misfire condition with or without diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0300 through P0306. This may be due to the internal components of the muffler assembled improperly. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure steps to replace the muffler.

Action: Follow the Service Procedure to correct the condition for vehicles that meet all of the following criteria:

• 2019 F-150

• Limited series

• Built on or before 1-Jun-2019

• 3.5L EcoBoost high output

• Lacks power and/or misfire condition

• May have DTCs P0300 through P0306 stored in the powertrain control module (PCM)

Parts

Part Number Description Quantity
KL3Z-5230-A KL3Z-5230-A Muffler Assembly 1

Thanks @FordTechOne. Didn't even realize that this doesn't relate to Raptors. It says they somehow verified that was the cause of the code and replacing the exhaust apparently cleared the code. I am starting to lose faith in Ford Dealerships and their technicians. Other than the oil consumption it seems to be running fine, and I am ok with the quieter ride honestly. So I'll just let it be for now.

GooseTuned

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So far have put another 1000+ miles on her since the 1st issue without any more codes being thrown or SOTP performance loss. I'm still working with @wgr73 to look over my data logs to see if can find anything but hopefully it was a phantom issue caused by the severe wx that day

If anyone else is experiencing this issue though I would love to hear about it..

@magaraptor Have you narrowed down what's causing this issue on your truck? What year/mods are you running, also mileage?

looking them over this afternoon!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks @FordTechOne. Didn't even realize that this doesn't relate to Raptors. It says they somehow verified that was the cause of the code and replacing the exhaust apparently cleared the code. I am starting to lose faith in Ford Dealerships and their technicians. Other than the oil consumption it seems to be running fine, and I am ok with the quieter ride honestly. So I'll just let it be for now.

They missed the part about the bulletin only applying to Limited models; if your had been a Limited with the same code, the TSB would have applied. I highly doubt that your exhaust failed the inspection per the TSB, it sounds like they just shotgunned a new exhaust regardless. I'm sure they'll be getting charged back for the parts and labor as soon as the claim is submitted.

My guess would be that your issue is tune related. These engines have a complex misfire algorithm and are extremely sensitive to variations in crankshaft speed. This applies to all newer engines, including the 5.0. The thresholds for setting misfire DTCs are much lower than they used to be. In fact, the CKP pattern on these engines cannot be read with a standard oscilloscope; they don't have enough processing power to read and draw the pattern. A more powerful oscilloscope must be used, which is why Ford developed the VCMM with Bosch. Even then, the waveform that the scope renders is much different from a traditional CKP, making it more difficult to identify anomalies in the pattern.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
But I dont hear of this issues with custom tunes, unless I'm mistaken...

OP
OP
Misfit_1122

Misfit_1122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@wgr73 thanks for the continued excellent customer service and looking over my DL's

So far I haven't had any more thrown codes and or performance loss so at this point I'm going to chalk it up to the rainy weather and hope it never returns. Does kinda seem odd that such an off-road oriented vehicle would be affected by rain to that extent but it is what it is.

on a side note @Donovan with you signature block DP and exhaust setup how is the exhaust note, is there a significant audible whistle

Kuan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@wgr73 thanks for the continued excellent customer service and looking over my DL's

So far I haven't had any more thrown codes and or performance loss so at this point I'm going to chalk it up to the rainy weather and hope it never returns. Does kinda seem odd that such an off-road oriented vehicle would be affected by rain to that extent but it is what it is.

on a side note @Donovan with you signature block DP and exhaust setup how is the exhaust note, is there a significant audible whistle

Did you retain the factory active shutters in front of the intercooler? If not, it is building moisture in the conditions you have explained. That will cause misfires.

GooseTuned

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Anytime dude. Please keep me up to date should it pop back up. That's extremely odd

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score

The whistle is as beautiful as it can be Sir. It says, "yeah.... you thought I was a super duty didnt you?" LOL.

It sounds great man.
@wgr73