Misfire Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Misfit_1122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was riding along in some heavy rain when trying to jump onto the highway, suddenly the truck loses power for a bit and throws a CEL. I'm running a custom tune on a Cobb AP BTW, so I use the AP to tell me the code and its a P0301. I pull over and let the truck rest for approx 2 minutes and the CEL goes away and I finish out the rest of my road trip. Once I get to where I'm going I give it another WOT run and the CEL comes back with the same code. I pull the plugs and coils and find nothing wrong with them visually whatsoever. I use the AP to clear the code and reset PCM learning and make it back home (approx 240 miles). Once I get home I take any and every ignition related sensor off the and clean it to include removing the throttle body and cleaning it as well. I cant find anything that would lead to believe their is a hardware failure anywhere on the ignition side of things. to my surprise everything was pretty clean for a truck that has 58k on it.

Has anyone else had any issues like these? I have done some preliminary research and saw that there is a misfire monitor reset procedure that FORD can do but am wondering if there is anything else I can check before taking it in as there has been no major maintenance done to it at all.

Truck has stock CAI, SPD SP542 plugs gaped at .028, and Cobb AP Custom E-50 Goosetune.

My concern now is that while monitoring the misfire count per cylinder it gets random misfires throughout the cylinders even on my 20 min commute to work. I don't necessarily feel any loss in performance but also don't want to let this keep going if it is indicative of a failure soon to come. It has not thrown any more codes since then, I fully reset learning again after I installed everything after the thorough cleaning. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I travel often and don't wont to have a constant worry in my mind about issues down the road as it will drastically reduce the joy of driving it anywhere further than my typical commute to work.

Last edited:

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lord.....

I had this same issue at WOT. I took that COBB off and went back to stock and ran it in sport mode instead. I have full exhaust, and an intercooler as well. Not saying COBB is the issue. I set my sparks to .026 and my tuner locally who has tuned all of my sports cars says that I may have had spark plug blowout/blowback. I took the tune off and sold it. I"m going with a custom tune from him later in the spring and I'm going to install new plugs and adjust them to .024.

Someone else chime in... this is not a new issue. LOTS of boost requires a fine tuned computer...

Kuan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have full exhaust, and an intercooler as well. I set my sparks to .026 and my tuner locally who has tuned all of my sports cars says that I may have had spark plug blowout/blowback.

What does your tuner think is causing the misfires? Are you using the Cobb intercooler? When it was installed, what did you do with the active shutters that go in front of the intercooler?

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
He was suggesting that I needed to go down to .024 on the plugs. He has tuned multiple 3.5 ECOBOOST to 30+ pounds with ZERO issues.

I have CVF intercooler, because who is taking off their entire front bumper for a slightly larger intercooler?

Beinkounter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue, although I don’t have any tunes or engine mods. But it was the same code (P301). See screenshot.

CAA84688-81EE-4E83-BBCE-1C5C8817847F.jpeg

GooseTuned

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Lord.....

I had this same issue at WOT. I took that COBB off and went back to stock and ran it in sport mode instead. I have full exhaust, and an intercooler as well. Not saying COBB is the issue. I set my sparks to .026 and my tuner locally who has tuned all of my sports cars says that I may have had spark plug blowout/blowback. I took the tune off and sold it. I"m going with a custom tune from him later in the spring and I'm going to install new plugs and adjust them to .024.

Someone else chime in... this is not a new issue. LOTS of boost requires a fine tuned computer...

WOT and cruising on the highway are quite different.

Misfit and I are looking into the issue. May be plug related

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Right,

I carry a code now because I have a turboback exhaust with no tune. Prior to that, everytime I would go WOT it would go into limp mode. I have not been in limp mode since I removed the COBB tune. I will standby, I hope its just a plug related issue for you folks.

GooseTuned

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Gotcha! I'd be interested in seeing the log, that sounds odd.

Thanks, hopefully an easy fix.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
New Mexico is quite the haul lol. And I did not even complete a datalog for it.

I'm just doing a custom tune with my tuner that is local. All issues will either resurface or not.

GooseTuned

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I meant the datalog on the COBB Accessport, wouldn't want you to drive 2,000mi haha. Some trucks are more picky than others...that's one thing I've seen in this platform.