Misfire - Damaged Piston

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kmorgs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've tuned and have been since truck had 1,200 miles on it. I change oil every 5k miles with Motul Sport Ester 5W-40 and changes plugs for NGK Iridium at 15k miles. Just came up to 28k miles and will be doing another oil change and change of plugs at 30k. For me its cheap insurance to change oil and plugs as frequently as i do.

Hope yours gets sorted and is under warranty though!

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spark plug electrode that you saw that came off will definitely cause damage on your Piston and the head and the valves. Seen it alot on dirt bikes. Most probable cause for it to break off is detonation

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes - you will find that the masses here do NOT change spark plugs at 100k miles.... or 50k miles.... with the awful history of the ecoboost and its bad reliability history, changing sparkplugs frequently is essential. This engine is fun.... BUT.... EXTREMELY finicky. This is exactly why to stay away from the ecoboost. Do Your Research. This engine has misfires galore... search that here and you will find a plethora of info that tells you about spark plug changes. We can't help that you bought an ecoboost, but we can tell you how to keep it running to sell it off. Definitely get out of it before it becomes a financial problem for you.
I've given you warnings Troll, take a break from FRF.

OP
OP
G

GraniteRiver

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like Ive been missing all the fun. Ford finally got it torn down last week and discovered no actual damage to the piston, or cylinder walls. Part of the valve was missing and didnt find it in the cylinder, nor the piece of spark plug.

Hard to believe the piece made it through the turbo and didnt damage it, but they havent found any turbo damage so they say. Waiting on a new head from Ford, and doing cam phasers at the same time.

I had the SVC front mount added when I had them do all the suspension work and frame cut bumper at 18k miles.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks like Ive been missing all the fun. Ford finally got it torn down last week and discovered no actual damage to the piston, or cylinder walls. Part of the valve was missing and didnt find it in the cylinder, nor the piece of spark plug.

Hard to believe the piece made it through the turbo and didnt damage it, but they havent found any turbo damage so they say. Waiting on a new head from Ford, and doing cam phasers at the same time.

I had the SVC front mount added when I had them do all the suspension work and frame cut bumper at 18k miles.
How could a misfire cause a valve interference event? Seems more of a LSPI event or timing issue? What kind of oil are you using?

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well they missed something. Did they tear down the engine and pull the piston or just looking at the top?

IF there is only the one burned valve (must be exhaust), then it’s possible the piston, turbo, etc. is ok.

However, you have something that caused it. The only scenario that results in burned valve(s) like that is a super lean event. In the case on one cylinder, you likely have a clogged/bad direct injector, or less likely the port injector.

They’re not done troubleshooting to the root cause yet…

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We see this a lot in Evo X's. The plug falls apart, the valve tries to close on the piece of the plug, and it breaks the valve. It's not an lspi "event" or caased by a misfire or lean condition, or burnt valve. It's a purely mechanical failure mode.

OP, try to get the dealer look at the engine in your truck or at the very minimum show you pictures to prove the piston isn't damaged. I find it very hard to believe this is the case.

If you see even one mark on the piston surface, demand a complete engine.

Also, for the one guys that seemed concerned about running an intercooler on stock tune, it's completely safe on these trucks. The ECU is completely capable of compensating for it between all the torque limiters and closed loop fueling.