Misfire - Damaged Piston

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GraniteRiver

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick background, 2019 Raptor with 42k miles. Only mods are suspension and SVC Intercooler. Never tuned, no engine mods.

Climbing a hill on the freeway, heard a noise and the truck started vibrating/shaking badly, flashing check engine light. Limp the short drive home. Pulled all the plugs and cylinder 5 plug was covered in oil and missing the ground electrode. I changed all the plugs, still misfire. Changed the coil, then swapped coils and no change. Have it brought to the dealer and with the scope they see piston damage.

Any ideas on the cause of this one? They are going to pull the head and investigate further.

Kmorgs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick background, 2019 Raptor with 42k miles. Only mods are suspension and SVC Intercooler. Never tuned, no engine mods.

Climbing a hill on the freeway, heard a noise and the truck started vibrating/shaking badly, flashing check engine light. Limp the short drive home. Pulled all the plugs and cylinder 5 plug was covered in oil and missing the ground electrode. I changed all the plugs, still misfire. Changed the coil, then swapped coils and no change. Have it brought to the dealer and with the scope they see piston damage.

Any ideas on the cause of this one? They are going to pull the head and investigate further.
When did you last change the plugs? Sounds like had misfire for some time if piston is damaged. Also i would assume the liner is also damaged if piston also is. Hopefully you have warranty!

OP
OP
G

GraniteRiver

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When did you last change the plugs? Sounds like had misfire for some time if piston is damaged. Also i would assume the liner is also damaged if piston also is. Hopefully you have warranty!
The plugs had never been changed as far as I know, I bought it at 12k miles. They are 100k mile plugs. If there was a misfire before this event, it didnt show in a power loss, vibration nor a CEL.

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow - I think most here will tell you that 15k-20k miles is all you should go on spark plugs. This engine is very hard on plugs, and very sensitive to gap. I would say you got a burned up plug, and the pieces of it got into the cylinder and destroyed a cylinder. Can’t ever be too cautious on the ecoboost.
The plugs had never been changed as far as I know, I bought it at 12k miles. They are 100k mile plugs. If there was a misfire before this event, it didnt show in a power loss, vibration nor a CEL.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow - I think most here will tell you that 15k-20k miles is all you should go on spark plugs. This engine is very hard on plugs, and very sensitive to gap. I would say you got a burned up plug, and the pieces of it got into the cylinder and destroyed a cylinder. Can’t ever be too cautious on the ecoboost.
Yeah? You’re just as wrong now as you’ve ever been. That must be some sort of record for stupid?

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The failure cause was likely detonation resulting in some piston top/ring land damage. Sometimes it can be a single catastrophic event. There were certainly additional issues leading up to it though. If you were not boosting heavily, the original event that set you up for failure likely happened before you bought the truck.

Dudebrodude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
15-20k?! I've never heard of any modern vehicle needing service on plugs that often. I could understand someone with a built engine needing more often but a stock truck shouldn't need them.