GEN 2 Misfire Code? SPD may have found a simple fix.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Yeah, the 91 fuels are NOT going to work well in a HO engine of any type, ESPECIALLY boosted. I don't run it on the street (or strip yet), but there are some seriously good temporary octane boosters that don't require a big tuning change like ethanol blends. For the 91 (**** water) folks, before blaming your truck and swapping parts chasing misfires or pinging, etc., I recommend you try this stuff https://boostane.com/.

I have no interest in the company at all (other than I use their products), just trying to help those with misfire problems.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m also on the Cobb stage 2 and had misfires. I installed my SP542s that I had on MPT and had removed due to misfires but I gapped them down to 0.026 and it runs fantastically. At the low end of throttle things seem slightly less responsive but under load it pulls hard now and hits 23-25psi with no misfires.

Ford has stopped the SP542 plug and gone to performance plugs. I ordered a set of these and I’ll try them out in like 10-15,000 miles.

Currently running a test stage 2 tune from Cobb with some tweeks they want to do in the ots map. I still need to pull a WOT log or two for them but things have been busy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let us know the outcome. I am willing to go tuned again at some point and time. Then I will just regap to .026 or lower if necessary. The truck goes in the shop next week for EVAP issues, codes: 0443 0446 2418. After that has been fixed, off to the races for another tune.

JellyKing

Reaction score
I changed all the plugs (sp542's with ~40k miles on them) to the replacement M-12405-35T gapped at 0.025

What year is your truck? I am wondering if the 2020 Raptor changed to these plugs or should I consider putting these in before I do the Cobb Stg 2 and other upgrades? This misfire is the first I am hearing, it has to be fuel quality as this seems to be the only variable between all the trucks with installs (unless some years came with different plugs). Thoughts guys?

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What year is your truck? I am wondering if the 2020 Raptor changed to these plugs or should I consider putting these in before I do the Cobb Stg 2 and other upgrades? This misfire is the first I am hearing, it has to be fuel quality as this seems to be the only variable between all the trucks with installs (unless some years came with different plugs). Thoughts guys?

I have a 2017. I have no idea what the plugs are in the 2020. I originally changed to sp542's in the 1st year of ownership due to misfire issues. That resolved all issues as I was also running the Livernois tune.

When the Cobb stage 2 changes I had misfires again but I think it's a combination of 91 fuel and plugs with a lot of miles on them. With the recent changes all misfires have resolved again.

I do think these trucks appreciate the highest octane fuel possible. I just happen to live in a place where only 91 exists.

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hrmmm, not sure I follow?

As in, I have to buy/carry octane booster every time I fill up, which is a lot. Torco and Boostane are not cheap at $30 - $35 a bottle that will basically do one tank (26 gallons). You are looking at ~$120 fill-ups. If I was running at a drag strip then it makes sense, but I often fuel up every other day or every third day.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OH hell, I did not realize that Torco and Boostane cost that much brother.

I just orderd both and am going to give it a go.

Meferrell84

Reaction score
Brand new user here and owner of a used '17 Raptor as of about a month ago (all stock- no tunes or upgrades). I have the same rough acceleration and intermittent rough idle pnwRaptor mentioned. I just replaced plugs with SP578 gapped to .028 and cleaned all my MAP sensors. That helped a bunch but it still happens randomly. It feels just like a misfire, but no CEL and no misfires detected in the stored/Mode 6 data either. You guys think going to 542's would clean it up?

I'm also in the mountains, so 91 octane is the highest octane I can find.