GEN 2 Misfire Code? SPD may have found a simple fix.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustan

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went with .026 and haven’t had an issue. I can only get 91 octane in Colorado. So I’ve never tried the 93 octane tune if that matters. An easy way to check a coil pack is swap it with another cylinder, if that cylinder throws the Code you found your problem.

pnwRaptor

Reaction score
To answer a few questions, my symptoms have been observed in Cobb's OTS maps stage 2 87, and 91. I run 92 octane here in Oregon with a 10% ethanol blend. I have 45k miles.
Some more background: I have 2 levels of symptoms; stutter and rough acceleration under load, and secondly a flashing CEL as a result of misfire. I have thrown a flashing CEL 6 times over 5 thousand miles, all of those have been on cobb stage 2 (after I installed my Cobb FMIC). When the code gets thrown the idle goes very rough. I slow down, let idle and turn off engine. Upon restart it is fine again. Each time the code was P0301 (cylinder 1 misfire). The misfire code has happened 3 times before I changed plugs, and 3 times after. Each time the CEL has thrown has been under WOT on a rainy moist day. haven't had a dry day CEL, but the rough acceleration can still be felt (its not as bad on drier days though it seems).
As far as my troubleshooting thus far
1: I had a CAI installed, I took it off. One less thing in the mix too worry about.
2: replaced stock plugs with SP-542 plugs spaced at .028
3: Removed plugs and spaced them to .026
4:I reached out to Goose Tunes who regularly tweaks with the Cobb platform. I sent data logs and has been very helpful and responsive. I tried out a map he sent me and my issue was still apparent, however not as bad (kind of an in-between of stage 1 and stage 2 OTS I thought).

I was thinking of swapping coils around, but since I can't consistently throw a CEL deliberately I was planning on just replacing the coil pack on cylinder 1, and re-inspecting my spark plugs for insulator damage as my next course of action.

I have also observed my symptoms to be similar to condensation build-up in the intercooler. I don't believe the cobb intercooler has a drain on it like some other aftermarket intercoolers. Not sure what to think there.

I'll also reach out to Cobb, any Cobb raptor reps on here before I cold call them?

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am curious why you think this would cause your issues >> I have also observed my symptoms to be similar to condensation build-up in the intercooler??

To answer a few questions, my symptoms have been observed in Cobb's OTS maps stage 2 87, and 91. I run 92 octane here in Oregon with a 10% ethanol blend. I have 45k miles.
Some more background: I have 2 levels of symptoms; stutter and rough acceleration under load, and secondly a flashing CEL as a result of misfire. I have thrown a flashing CEL 6 times over 5 thousand miles, all of those have been on cobb stage 2 (after I installed my Cobb FMIC). When the code gets thrown the idle goes very rough. I slow down, let idle and turn off engine. Upon restart it is fine again. Each time the code was P0301 (cylinder 1 misfire). The misfire code has happened 3 times before I changed plugs, and 3 times after. Each time the CEL has thrown has been under WOT on a rainy moist day. haven't had a dry day CEL, but the rough acceleration can still be felt (its not as bad on drier days though it seems).
As far as my troubleshooting thus far
1: I had a CAI installed, I took it off. One less thing in the mix too worry about.
2: replaced stock plugs with SP-542 plugs spaced at .028
3: Removed plugs and spaced them to .026
4:I reached out to Goose Tunes who regularly tweaks with the Cobb platform. I sent data logs and has been very helpful and responsive. I tried out a map he sent me and my issue was still apparent, however not as bad (kind of an in-between of stage 1 and stage 2 OTS I thought).

I was thinking of swapping coils around, but since I can't consistently throw a CEL deliberately I was planning on just replacing the coil pack on cylinder 1, and re-inspecting my spark plugs for insulator damage as my next course of action.

I have also observed my symptoms to be similar to condensation build-up in the intercooler. I don't believe the cobb intercooler has a drain on it like some other aftermarket intercoolers. Not sure what to think there.

I'll also reach out to Cobb, any Cobb raptor reps on here before I cold call them?

K1llD4shN1n3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Donovan,

I am throwing a P0301 as well with a rough acceleration under load. Running Cobb Stage 2, and have tried replacing plugs at .028. No luck. I even tried a conservative custom tune from Goose tunes.

I am on to thinking its a coil pack, injector, for condensation issues in my Cobb Intercooler.

Ive found a rough acceleration under load, especially in gear 6-9 from RPM 2000-2800 or so. Right before the turbo spool goes full (so around 17lb of Boost or so).

Have you made any headway since this post?

I’m also on the Cobb stage 2 and had misfires. I installed my SP542s that I had on MPT and had removed due to misfires but I gapped them down to 0.026 and it runs fantastically. At the low end of throttle things seem slightly less responsive but under load it pulls hard now and hits 23-25psi with no misfires.

Ford has stopped the SP542 plug and gone to performance plugs. I ordered a set of these and I’ll try them out in like 10-15,000 miles.

Currently running a test stage 2 tune from Cobb with some tweeks they want to do in the ots map. I still need to pull a WOT log or two for them but things have been busy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Big blue

Reaction score
I’m also on the Cobb stage 2 and had misfires. I installed my SP542s that I had on MPT and had removed due to misfires but I gapped them down to 0.026 and it runs fantastically. At the low end of throttle things seem slightly less responsive but under load it pulls hard now and hits 23-25psi with no misfires.

Ford has stopped the SP542 plug and gone to performance plugs. I ordered a set of these and I’ll try them out in like 10-15,000 miles.

Currently running a test stage 2 tune from Cobb with some tweeks they want to do in the ots map. I still need to pull a WOT log or two for them but things have been busy.

Are these the plugs you ordered? I just ordered SP542 plugs . I recieved Cobb stage 2 but haven't installed it yet. Going with a Goosetune. Wondering if I should use the Performance plugs instead.38434b69d357fb6588982ef91ff758a8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

K1llD4shN1n3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are these the plugs you ordered? I just ordered SP542 plugs . I recieved Cobb stage 2 but haven't installed it yet. Going with a Goosetune. Wondering if I should use the Performance plugs instead.38434b69d357fb6588982ef91ff758a8.jpg

Yep but I haven’t installed those ones yet. I would think they are basically the SP542 equivalent but I’m not totally sure.

I would wait to see how things run with the stage 2 installed before adding any variables.

2018 Big blue

Reaction score
Yep but I haven’t installed those ones yet. I would think they are basically the SP542 equivalent but I’m not totally sure.

I would wait to see how things run with the stage 2 installed before adding any variables.

Thanks sounds like a good idea

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m running the Cobb stage 2 as of this weekend and was getting bad misfire (truck “bucking) only in cylinder #6 at WOT. I pulled all the plugs (sp542’s) and gapped to 0.025 and that helped 95% but still got a misfire read on the V3. I could not feel/hear the misfire vs before gapping down to 0.025.

What do you gap your plugs at? I have a new set of plugs coming this week since the current set have ~40,000 miles on them.

Update:

I changed all the plugs (sp542's with ~40k miles on them) to the replacement M-12405-35T gapped at 0.025. Did a bunch of WOT pulls in normal and sport. Zero misfires at WOT with boost 23 - 24 psi on any of the cylinders. It pulled hard and smooth through all gears. In all honesty, this is how the truck should have came from the factory.

I am running stage 2 91 octane + TCM OEM+1 on Whipple IC, Whipple open CAI, AMS turbo inlets, colder plugs, and turbosmart BOV.

What was interesting was the "random" misfires picked up when truck is just idling. I suspect they have always been there and I just never knew any different because wasn't running AP.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
I’m on the Cobb Stage 2 with my tweaks for more power, on stock plugs, the original oem plugs with 47k miles on them and mine doesn’t miss a beat. Runs 13.3@102 in the 1/4 mile, all stock... I don’t understand these problems you guys are having. I suspect your local fuel rather than ANY problem with your truck. Just sayin...

K1llD4shN1n3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m on the Cobb Stage 2 with my tweaks for more power, on stock plugs, the original oem plugs with 47k miles on them and mine doesn’t miss a beat. Runs 13.3@102 in the 1/4 mile, all stock... I don’t understand these problems you guys are having. I suspect your local fuel rather than ANY problem with your truck. Just sayin...

It very well could be! Here in CO there’s only 91. I use top teir gas but I’m not sure what engine build variances and/or environmental differences cause some to misfire more than others.