GEN 2 Misfire Code? SPD may have found a simple fix.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

biturbomg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any more updates or people having issues with misfire codes tuned or stock?

Eddie G

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MISFIRE CODE? SPD Performance may have found a simple fix.

SPD Performance has fixed the misfire code issue on 2 trucks. We replaced the factory spark plugs with Motorcraft SP542 (cold plugs) which we spaced at .028.

Installing time is 30-45 minutes. SP542 plugs MUST be respaced to .028 - .030, but make sure they are all the same spacing. They will come in with a larger spacing.

P/N SP542
Ford P/N CYFS092YPT
6 spark plugs are required.

This misfire code seems to happen more frequently after installing aftermarket intake systems but has also plagued 100% stock trucks as well.

Hope this helps you guys. Please send me feedback to [email protected].
Good stuff, I just got the truck and was wondering what you think about the sp-578 plugs? I have a full Cobb stage 2 on the truck. IC, intake, pro tune.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I literally am dealing with this....

Check engine light flashing because of p0301... Upgraded my firmware.

First I had minimum oil in, so I put a quart in. Today I'm doing these new plugs! Lets hope this .028-.030 helps. Otherwise its onto cam phasers.

pnwRaptor

Reaction score
Donovan,

I am throwing a P0301 as well with a rough acceleration under load. Running Cobb Stage 2, and have tried replacing plugs at .028. No luck. I even tried a conservative custom tune from Goose tunes.

I am on to thinking its a coil pack, injector, for condensation issues in my Cobb Intercooler.

Ive found a rough acceleration under load, especially in gear 6-9 from RPM 2000-2800 or so. Right before the turbo spool goes full (so around 17lb of Boost or so).

Have you made any headway since this post?

Last edited:

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I removed my tune from COBB.

The issues went away but I only had those issues under WOT so it was a high boost issue perhaps.

I have EVAP issues now.

pnwRaptor

Reaction score
My P0301 code would only throw under WOT, and then go into limp mode. I could feel the symptoms as described above though, which I believed led to the thrown code.

It hasn't thrown the code under stage 1 tune, or under stock - which is helpful but discouraging since the power gains aren't there. The custom tune from goose tunes topped out at 20psi in lieu of the 24ish I am pushing on stage 2 cobb. Its definitely worse the higher boost I am pushing, with nom noticeable symptoms in the stock tune.

Dustan

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was the misfire on a 93 or 91 octane tune and do you trust your fuel. Did you do any data logging and send to Cobb? They seem pretty willing to help. I’m running Cobb stage 2 91 octane with sp-542 plugs with no issues.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Having looked back at it, maybe sending data logs should have been the next step. I have a local tuner that is making 600+WHP on this ecoboost. @PNW Raptor I would send datalogs in man. COBB will try their best to help! Once I get this EVAP issue fixed or removed I will get tuned again.

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was the misfire on a 93 or 91 octane tune and do you trust your fuel. Did you do any data logging and send to Cobb? They seem pretty willing to help. I’m running Cobb stage 2 91 octane with sp-542 plugs with no issues.

I’m running the Cobb stage 2 as of this weekend and was getting bad misfire (truck “bucking) only in cylinder #6 at WOT. I pulled all the plugs (sp542’s) and gapped to 0.025 and that helped 95% but still got a misfire read on the V3. I could not feel/hear the misfire vs before gapping down to 0.025.

What do you gap your plugs at? I have a new set of plugs coming this week since the current set have ~40,000 miles on them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir