Mirror housing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ian Wilson

Reaction score
someone blew by me today in a panel truck and flipped my driver side mirror forward causing the housing to break. The only part that’s broken is the plastic at the hinge that was forced too far. Could I replace just his without having to replace the $1200 total mirror assembly? Like just the plastic housing and not the mechanisms or the puddle, camera etc

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
I

Ian Wilson

Reaction score
Thanks for responding. This isn’t the part that is broken. I only need to replace the black plastic that surrounds the actual mirror and the plastic on the bottom of the front side beneath the body paint part. Could I just part out an old mirror and swap those parts?

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I'm not exactly sure what part you're talking about, pics might help, but it looks like some parts can be purchased separately, and others, you need the whole kit. $1200 sounds like way too much for the whole kit though. If you intend to repair yourself, I would probably just buy the whole kit. Those plastic parts are a bit fragile when assembly/disassembly so it might just be better to have it all together.

note- I pulled up the mirror for my 2017, your Gen 2 might be different.
note 2 - I have taken my mirror apart to replace the light on it once, not too difficult. But I didn't need to disassemble the whole thing to do it.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Contact the guy in the Ebay link... it's kind of his thing. You tell him what happened and he will tell YOU everything that is broken. Nailed mine and I have a good bit of experience turning wrenches. Think I spent about $150 and mine has all the bells n whistles jammed in it. Just had to transfer the harnesses etc from old to new.

DocSpooK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cracked a chunk out of a Gen 1 mirror and was not about to pay $900 for a new one when mine was functional.
So I bought a $60 eBay takeoff which has panels on it for puddle lights etc that you can just pop out. Then I put my innards in the base model case.
It is not easy, but if you are mechanical it is totally doable. Mirror looked perfect after.