MiloX's 2012 Raptor SQ Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MiloX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DSC_4806.jpg

It begins...

Quick rundown of equipment:

Zapco DC1000.4 (x2)
Dynaudio 162GTs
AudioMobile Eliite 2208 8" Subs (x4)
Audience A3 Wideband drivers
RF 3Sixty.3

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

Sub-box build is on tap first. Also… full res images can be found on my crappy blogger account. Dad on the Run

Couple of things I have discovered since the G35 build that has made my life so much easier.

Jasper Perfect Circle Jig:
image-001.jpg

Bessy 90 Degree Corner Clamps:
image_1-001.jpg

I have absolutely no idea why it has taken me this long to spend the 50 bucks on these things. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

So… here’s the plan. The box is going to go under the rear bench. Very similar in design to this box from SuperCrewSound.com: Ford F-150 Supercrew Cab 09-13 Dual Subwoofer Box

Now that I look back on it… I question my decision to build this myself. I mean… sure. My box is custom build. It’s over-built. I have the satisfaction of doing it myself, but… the SCS.com box is only $150. Cost/Benefit analysis is a negative on this, I think.

OK… so here’s the initial design. Made a template of the space, and started filling it in. And I quickly realized that I wouldn’t have enough volume. So, I scrapped this and started over.

image_2-001.jpg

After working up another template and design, I felt comfortable breaking out the saws and the MDF.

Here’s the aftermath:
image1.jpg

Moved on to dry fitting and test fitting (the one by shims are classy, eh?):
image_11.jpg

image_21.jpg

image_31.jpg

image%2B%25282%2529-001.jpg
image_1%2B%25282%2529-001.jpg
image_2%2B%25282%2529-001.jpg

I was pretty satisfied with how things were shaping up at this point. So I decided to break out the glue and resin and get her put together.

Resin applied to all interior and exterior joints:
image_3%2B%25282%2529-001.jpg

Close up view. Notice the fitment isn’t perfect. Not worried about it. The sander helped clean things up after I took this picture, and this box will be carpeted. Won’t telegraph through.
DSC_6816-001.jpg

Next up was body filler. I wanted the top of the box to have a smooth transition between the two panels on the top. So… I wrapped some scrap in wax paper and attached it to the ends of the box to act as a dam. In this pic you can see one of the “dams” attached on the left side of the box. You can also see my “Official Lagunitas IPA” transition template on the work-mate:
DSC_6814-001.jpg

Mixing up the Rage:
DSC_6817-001.jpg

Applying the Rage:
DSC_6818-001.jpg

And after some sanding we have a smooooooooooth transition… well… smooth enough for carpet:
DSC_6820-001.jpg

Jack and “Dusty” approve:
DSC_6821-001.jpg

This *thing* doesn’t. Therefore, it must die:
image_5.jpg

And finally I fabbed up the end trim panels, used a .5 roundover and did a final test fit.
image_1%2B%25283%2529-001.jpg

At this point, we are ready for upholstery… Which is going to wait until we get a lot closer to final installation. I don’t want to worry about the carpet getting all dusty while I work on the rest of the build.

All in all I am pretty pleased with this. Could have done a better job on a couple of items, but the thing is braced to the max and built like a tank. Just like our trucks.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
definitely a nice project to tackle by yourself. dont take this the wrong way, but a small piece of advice. a down firing woofer is not ideal in an offroad vehicle. i dont know how much offroading you plan on doing, but you run the risk of having the weight of the woofers pull the screws out. it has happened before and will happen again. im not saying yours will, but to add a little more strength to the woofer mounting points, i suggest using "t nuts" and machine thread screws to hold your woofers in place.

other than that, good job on the build.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MiloX

MiloX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! T-nuts are in the tool box waiting for the subs to arrive!

Chayse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OoH. Definitely watching this. I've got a couple of DC amps waiting to go in my truck too. I have a 360.4 and 650.6 DC Ref. Hybrid Audio L6's and L1 Pro RR's for the front and Stereo Integrity BM MKIII 12" shallow sub. Looking to see how you integrate the RF 3sixty.3 and what issues, if any, you have with it. I might do the JL Cleansweep for the summing and EQ leveling.
Are your amps the DC Reference with the built-in EQ? If not, are you only using the 3Sixty.3 for tuning?

Looks great so far. Makes me want to get my butt in gear.

Fred

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Wish I had the tools and knowledge to pull this off.
just wing it...... thats what i do........

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

on a more serious note, a member had an issue with the rockford processor in these trucks. i dont remember what it was, but he ended up using something else inline with the rockford piece

OP
OP
MiloX

MiloX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Annd on to test fitting the 162s.

Baffle construction:

Dust.jpg

Nutsert.jpg

Test fitting:

Driver%2BDoor.jpg

162 Test fit successful... The MB output is just silly compared to the stock "upgraded" Sony speakers. In an untreated door no less.

Very happy about how high up in the door the speakers are in this vehicle.

Have a loooooooong looooooooooong ways to go, but we are slowly getting there.