Miles to Empty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I went down as little as 1-2 miles left until empty and still only put in 34 gallons. so the 30 miles seem about right.

Klyphman

Reaction score
My 2023 has about 7500 miles now and I’ve done a number of road trips in it.
My DTE is consistently far too conservative, to the point that I don’t really even trust it.

Very typical: 20-40 miles remaining but it only takes 27-29 gallons.

I just now filled up while showing 38 miles to empty and I finally have put in 30 gallons (30.303 gallons, to be precise) for the very first time!
Since I’ve been averaging around 15 mpg for the last 2500 miles, that means I still actually had roughly 90 miles remaining.

This is stupid IMO and also similar to the Tundra I had prior; the Toyota dealership said the tank is wide & long but has a short vertical dimension. That means a very small fluctuation vertically can translate to a relatively large volume of fuel, and so therefore the designers erred on the side of caution.

The unfortunate reality is that I now must choose between two options:
1) Trust the DTE and effectively only have a 30 gallon tank, OR
2) Trust my experience and ignore the gauge.

I will ask the dealership if they can somehow recalibrate it, but I’m pretty sure I already know the answer. My real life solution has been a combination of those two options, meaning that I usually drive further and run the tank down lower than I would if the gauge were accurate, but not far enough to get myself in real trouble.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 2023 has about 7500 miles now and I’ve done a number of road trips in it.
My DTE is consistently far too conservative, to the point that I don’t really even trust it.

Very typical: 20-40 miles remaining but it only takes 27-29 gallons.

I just now filled up while showing 38 miles to empty and I finally have put in 30 gallons (30.303 gallons, to be precise) for the very first time!
Since I’ve been averaging around 15 mpg for the last 2500 miles, that means I still actually had roughly 90 miles remaining.

This is stupid IMO and also similar to the Tundra I had prior; the Toyota dealership said the tank is wide & long but has a short vertical dimension. That means a very small fluctuation vertically can translate to a relatively large volume of fuel, and so therefore the designers erred on the side of caution.

The unfortunate reality is that I now must choose between two options:
1) Trust the DTE and effectively only have a 30 gallon tank, OR
2) Trust my experience and ignore the gauge.

I will ask the dealership if they can somehow recalibrate it, but I’m pretty sure I already know the answer. My real life solution has been a combination of those two options, meaning that I usually drive further and run the tank down lower than I would if the gauge were accurate, but not far enough to get myself in real trouble.
Do you really want the engine to stall the moment the DTE flips to 0? While satisfying in its own way, that would be retarded.
There is a reason we have warning labels not to put our limbs in rotating machinery.
While it would teach a few people a lesson I imagine every morning or evening commute in any major city would be an even bigger shit show with 200-300 stalled vehicles on the freeway everyday.

WTF "Trust the DTE and know I only have a 30 gallon tank"

That is one of the most ephing retarded statements I have ever seen posted.

Klyphman

Reaction score
Best to fill at a quarter tank so the fuel pump doesn’t suck air.
Yeah I used to hear that sort of thing from time to time, back in the day. I’ve never heard it in recent higher-tech times, however, and I’ve never experienced anything like that in any of my vehicles, including the Raptor.
I’m curious if you have any real technical backing for this, or is it just a habit you have?
For me, I wanna “use what I bought,” i.e. I have a 36 gallon tank and I’d like to be able to comfortably use most of it…

Klyphman

Reaction score
Do you really want the engine to stall the moment the DTE flips to 0? While satisfying in its own way, that would be retarded.
There is a reason we have warning labels not to put our limbs in rotating machinery.
While it would teach a few people a lesson I imagine every morning or evening commute in any major city would be an even bigger shit show with 200-300 stalled vehicles on the freeway everyday.

WTF "Trust the DTE and know I only have a 30 gallon tank"

That is one of the most ephing retarded statements I have ever seen posted.
Seems like you’re having a hard time understanding, old Raptor guy; I’ll see if I can write real slow to make this simpler.

It appears you’ve done a lot of research on all the people who would run out of gas on the freeway if their gauges were accurate; really? (⬅️That is one of the most ephing retarded statements I have ever seen posted.) Is there really a connection in your brain between people getting mangled by machines and an inaccurate fuel gauge? Wow. (And again: That is one of the most ephing retarded statements I have ever seen posted.)

Okay, moving on: I didn’t say anything about the engine stalling, only that it would be useful for a DTE report to be reasonably close to accurate. Here are a couple of simple analogies for you:
- Do you like your speedometer to be accurate?
- Do you want your various gauges to provide accurate information?
- When you tune your radio to 105.9, will you be unhappy if it actually pulls in 104.7?

Yeah, I thought so. When we have a gauge providing valuable data, it helps exactly ZERO if the data isn’t trustworthy.

And FWIW I’m not asking that it be precise to the gnat’s ass, but rather directionally correct - which it is definitely NOT now. If it said 50 miles to empty and it’s really 60; no sweat. But if it’s really 110+, then it’s providing bogus info and the only way to get the full use of the tank’s capacity is to sweat it out when the gauge says it’s empty.

And finally, I’ll stand by what I said: if I’m unable to get the DTE recalibrated, which is likely, then trusting the DTE really does translate to only ever being comfortable using 30 gallons of my 36 gallon tank, fully a 15% reduction in range. Please show me where I’ve misstated anything here?

Actually, my FINAL final comment is: I posted on the forum because I hoped to get helpful advice or feedback from people more knowledgeable than I. Instead I got some dude who would apparently have a hard time fighting his way out of a wet paper bag on the way to his conspiracy get-together! Ciao.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I used to hear that sort of thing from time to time, back in the day. I’ve never heard it in recent higher-tech times, however, and I’ve never experienced anything like that in any of my vehicles, including the Raptor.
I’m curious if you have any real technical backing for this, or is it just a habit you have?
For me, I wanna “use what I bought,” i.e. I have a 36 gallon tank and I’d like to be able to comfortably use most of it…
I was thinking about how I was going to answer and then I read your response to @Old-Raptor-guy. I'm revising my answer to: Fúck off. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir

Latest posts