Miles to Empty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adding to the knowledge base.

Had the opportunity to run the fuel down to 6 miles to empty.

Sweating a bit since I dropped a buddy off at his house which is 20 miles off pavement as I was watching the rapid decrease of the miles to empty.

Anyway the fill up took 34 gallons. So at least in my 2018 Raptor, I had a few miles left at the 6 miles to empty point.

Hope this helps someone out.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a SCAB with the supposedly 26 gallon tank. At 0 miles remaining it takes a hair over 22 to fill up. So same deal.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Thank you both for posting,I’m sure that will help someone out here.
I was out in the Desert, 110 miles to the hardball and fuel. My 2010 showed 90miles to empty.
It was a 110 degrees out. The Bar 10 Ranch was 5 miles in the opposite direction. I opted for the Bar 10.
Still can’t thank the Ranch Foreman enough for saving my Aszsx.
He felt bad for having to charge me $5 a gallon…lol I gave him a $20 thank you Starfuxks gift card, just in case he ever made it into town.

OP
OP
W

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. Good choice. Off pavement mileage is quite a bit less than on pavement.

The 20 mile round trip to drop my buddy off was mostly at 5 mph. That 20 miles took 38 gas gauge miles :)

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Having driven hundred and hundreds of customers vehicles over the last 35 years, I have only seen one vehicle that ran out of fuel with in 1 mile of showing 0 miles to empty. Yet I have seen a dozen or more that ran out still showing fuel and 30-50 miles to empty. In fact we just fixed an Infiniti last week that died while driving. Fuel gauge showed 1/8th and MTE showed 37. Accessed fuel pump and the tank was bone dry. Added fuel and fired right up.

99.9% of the time when a vehicle shows 0 miles to empty there will be about 1.5 gallons left. On smaller vehicles that get 30+ MPG it will be around .8 gallons. If you think about how big physically our tanks are. (roughly 12 inches wide by 4 ft long) that is probably only about 3/8 of an inch which isn't much so you can't really blame the computer for giving you an early warning.

remember it is a "gauge" not a "meter" (to gauge something is to guess)

I high recommend to people to always reset one trip O-meter and MPG gauge (if your vehicle has one) every refill. Learn through experience how far you can go. You don't have to run out of fuel to do this, just monitor gallons used (when refilling) vs miles driven. Just like the OP noticed it took 34 gallons to refill which means he had 2 gallons left given 12 mpg he had 24 miles left, that is not an insignificant distance.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep. Good choice. Off pavement mileage is quite a bit less than on pavement.

The 20 mile round trip to drop my buddy off was mostly at 5 mph. That 20 miles took 38 gas gauge miles :)
So it took 4 hrs to make the round trip, in a Raptor WOW!!

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The last time I filled the Raptor the guage showed 23 miles to empty, took 33.4 gal, fuel left in tank 2.6 gal, average mpg 10.x at time of fillup before reset. If my calculations are correct 2.6 x 10.x=26 so fairly accurate. The DTE calculation is based on the previous tank so it could be off if all highway and now in town driving and will adjust with key cycles.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The last time I filled the Raptor the guage showed 23 miles to empty, took 33.4 gal, fuel left in tank 2.6 gal, average mpg 10.x at time of fillup before reset. If my calculations are correct 2.6 x 10.x=26 so fairly accurate. The DTE calculation is based on the previous tank so it could be off if all highway and now in town driving and will adjust with key cycles.
Yep!!

Just a note, our Raptors (gen2) have 2 trip meters that show, time, mileage, distance and MPG. I never reset (maybe once a year if that) so I have a long distance average on MPG. I always reset the 2nd trip when refueling, that way I get trip and over all MPG.

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can go 20+ miles once the dash says zero miles to empty. Couple youtube vids of "how many miles past zero" in regular F150s and they end up with 30-50 miles so figure the raptor will be slightly less.