Mileage/Reliability/Durability Expectations on rebuilt shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpk1996

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know guys have had success with the gen 2 shock swap. And it does sound attractive, but personally, i want the right part for my truck.

I have my shocks rebuilt by Forged, and you don't have to send them your shocks. basically he does it on a core swap. He sends you rebuilt shocks on how you want them done (flutter stack, different valving, ect) and then you swap out yours and send them back. its pretty easy and Paul is great to deal with. Then you have the right shocks, and better than stock. There is no reason the rebuilt ones won't last as long as the orig factory ones did. Its obviously not the shock body that where out, but the parts inside that are replaced with new ones.

Uncas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2014 Raptor with about 80,000 miles and one of the shocks is leaking so the dealer advised me to replace (at a high cost as you know!). My question, I have been reading about the rebuild companies out there and I see some mixed reviews as it relates to durability with the rebuilds. I do not drive my truck offroad btw. Are people having success with the rebuilds or is this just a temporary fix that will fail faster than a new replacement shock?
Forged Offroad rebuilt mine 3 times and were great to work with. I would always plan a rebuild around 50k miles, 70k is a little bit more than I would go. At about 60k the shocks will let you know they are spent. Twice I had them rebuilt, the last time at 160k I did the exchange.
https://forged-offroad.com/shock-rebuilding/?v=7516fd43adaa

kennyh

Reaction score
I had the Gen 2's on my 2010 6.2 scab for about a month....paid 670.00 for them on ebay. Front was raised about 2 inches, leveling the truck. Took me 8 hrs to install the fronts, having to drop the lower a arms to get them in. Decided to get my originals rebuilt, as I became nervous when thinking about the gen 2's being almost totally compressed at normal ride height, because of their initial longer size. Same with the rears, 1.5 inches longer almost totally compressed at ride height. It is a city truck 100% of the time, but I was still concerned about the longer sizes. Seems to ride about the same with the rebuilt gen 1 ones on it. Highly recommend texasshockworks in Hutto TX for rebuilding, great folks to work with....

TK421

Reaction score
My truck was fairly stock. At 56k my shocks were leaking and not that great feeling. So I did the forged Offroad rebuild program. I paid for all the best options, upgraded seals, spherical mounts, tuned better etc. at about 20k miles later of mainly daily freeway driving the kids to school and back the fronts are already ooozing out oil and the rear shock sheared out of the mount and was dragging on the freeway. I’m guessing the shocks they sent me in trade the previous owner(s) beat on them hard and they were pretty worn. Ended up buying king 3.0’s and haven’t looked back.

E63C164F-0BCB-4DEF-94E7-079FB8D90B79.jpeg

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think I’m gonna put my truck on blocks and send mine into Fox for the rebuild. That way, I get my shocks back.