Mileage/Reliability/Durability Expectations on rebuilt shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darkalley

Reaction score
I have a 2014 Raptor with about 80,000 miles and one of the shocks is leaking so the dealer advised me to replace (at a high cost as you know!). My question, I have been reading about the rebuild companies out there and I see some mixed reviews as it relates to durability with the rebuilds. I do not drive my truck offroad btw. Are people having success with the rebuilds or is this just a temporary fix that will fail faster than a new replacement shock?

nipplesNchowder

Reaction score
Just throwing it out there, but you can put a full set of gen 2 Raptor shocks on your truck for 600 USD. The truck does sit an inch higher but it rides way better. I personally would never spend money on gen 1 shocks again, way to expensive

OP
OP
D

Darkalley

Reaction score
Really I didn’t realize that! Amazing the price dropped so much. This seems like a no brainer..... any reason not to (aside from the 1 inch)

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Really I didn’t realize that! Amazing the price dropped so much. This seems like a no brainer..... any reason not to (aside from the 1 inch)

the rears fit but are too long, and the fronts are not a direct fit.

nipplesNchowder

Reaction score

The fronts are a nightmare to fit, but they do fit. Just get ready to scream in agony... and because the front shocks have significantly more travel your CV axles become your droop stop. Perfectly fine for light offroading where all your tires are on the ground, but probably dont wanna jump your truck like this, or even have the front tires come off the ground in 4x4 for that matter. Your CV axles will work as a droop stop in 2 wheel drive, but you certainly dont want them being used as a droop stop in 4x4. I had success with the mod and can answer any questions you have

Edit: Also check ebay for gen 2 shocks. I just checked and they are getting less and less common to find and more expensive, since 2019 Raptors have totally different shocks again its only a matter of time before gen 2 shocks are worth a fortune as well

Last edited:

tuffdoll

Reaction score
Ok so will gen 2 rear shocks fit a gen 1 without modifications? I have a gen 1 and was fixing to order new rears. If they fit the same and are cheaper that would be awesome

nipplesNchowder

Reaction score
Ok so will gen 2 rear shocks fit a gen 1 without modifications? I have a gen 1 and was fixing to order new rears. If they fit the same and are cheaper that would be awesome

Yes they will, except im pretty sure they are a SLIGHT bit longer, like maybe half an inch. Your truck may sit more aggressively on the rear end after installation so just a heads up

tuffdoll

Reaction score
Ok. Ty I will check on this. I installed airbags on mine so it can already sit that way if I want it to.

Reaction score
I got gen2 shock/struts on ebay for 600 bucks, the rears have been installed, no problem, I did add a rear leveling kit from ProRyde so I can adjust it after front is complete. The front you will have to reuse the gen1 springs that are smaller diameter than gen2. I have ordered an RPG shock spacer for the front, it will raise front by 1.5 inches they say. I have not installed them yet, waiting for them !! All other parts are new.

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2014 Raptor with about 80,000 miles and one of the shocks is leaking so the dealer advised me to replace (at a high cost as you know!). My question, I have been reading about the rebuild companies out there and I see some mixed reviews as it relates to durability with the rebuilds. I do not drive my truck offroad btw. Are people having success with the rebuilds or is this just a temporary fix that will fail faster than a new replacement shock?

You’re way better off getting the rebuild done on your shocks through Fox or Forged Offroad.

If going with 3” shocks is something you really want to do, then buy the correctly engineered ones instead of trying to cram the wrong part into your front suspension. You gain too much travel with the wheel drooping, and also, you LOSE an equal amount of travel when the shock is compressed.

You would need to have limiting straps installed (weld on the mounts) but that wouldn’t solve the uptravel issue. You could install the Forged Off-road front bumpstop kit to try and solve the uptravel issue, and that kit is really cool, but it’s also more money.

The idea sounds attractive due to the cheap cost. What happens down the road though when you finally off road it and bust an axle, or sell the truck to someone else who immediately goes off road with it?

The cost to have Fox rebuild your shocks is $600, and they come back good as new. Yes, your truck is on jack stands for a couple weeks, but it’s the correct part, no ******** around needed.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTRaptor20