Mild jump with sunroof?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KeithV

Reaction score
I'm doing a road trip in a few days from Iowa to SoCal and Phx for a couple weeks. Stopping in Vegas too. Going to run by Moab and check it out since I've never been there. Also going to hit Anza-Borrego in SoCal if I have time, and do some desert exploring in AZ.

Not planning on any heavy duty off-roading or anything too extreme since it's in the middle of a long road trip and some of the locations I will have all my luggage and everything inside, plus usually by myself.

Considering these sunroofs seem to enjoy spontaneously exploding with little provocation, just how much do I need to worry about that off-roading? What if I find an appropriate place to catch a LITTLE air? Who's sent it with a sunroof and it survived? I understand there's no guarantees, but just wondering about experiences.

I also have a hard 3 piece bed cover that's clamped down in several places. Any worries about that?

Lastly, anybody know of some decent open desert areas around Phoenix? I used to live there, but it's been about 15 years and I know things have grown like crazy and changed there.

Can't wait to hit the road!

20201204_134338.jpg

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did some jumps on woopy logging/forest trails in New England got probably as much as 2’ off ground w/ my ‘18 sunroof didn’t do anything

I did notice the panels didn’t align perfectly when closed but I can’t say for sure it happened as a result of the jumps or was always like that- one side slightly more raised than the other, but never had any leaks, creaks or squeaks or rattles- did clean it 2-3x a year @ lube w/ krytox.....but I did avoid a sunroof on my 2020, more so b/c I just didn’t wanna deal e/ the maintenance of the thing

of course if ya DONT maintain it once in a while....may be asking for issues

OP
OP
KeithV

KeithV

Reaction score
I did some jumps on woopy logging/forest trails in New England got probably as much as 2’ off ground w/ my ‘18 sunroof didn’t do anything

I did notice the panels didn’t align perfectly when closed but I can’t say for sure it happened as a result of the jumps or was always like that- one side slightly more raised than the other, but never had any leaks, creaks or squeaks or rattles- did clean it 2-3x a year @ lube w/ krytox.....but I did avoid a sunroof on my 2020, more so b/c I just didn’t wanna deal e/ the maintenance of the thing

of course if ya DONT maintain it once in a while....may be asking for issues
Yes, I'm actually cleaning and lubing it this weekend before I leave. Along with my sunroof and my guns :Big Laugh:

Last edited:

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the sunroof rails need to be cleaned/lubed if I never open the damn thing? Literally never. I hate having it but didn’t have a choice.