Mid level 3 way vs higher end 2 way front stage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
rlj676

rlj676

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply as well, but put me down in the 2-way camp. A set of reference 2-ways in a deadened door (on a good amp of course) will sound awesome. I'm not sure even going from a good 2-way set to a good 3-way set is even worth it in a non competition car.

For me, going from 2-way to 3-way turned out to be a net negative due to the tuning needed to dial it in (even after it's dialed in).

I'm currently running the Audio frog 2-ways (front doors only) on passive XOs. Rockford 1000.4 bridged between the sets and they keep up w/ my (4) 8's on 4-5 thousand watts. Sounds super clean too!!!
If I was tuning this would make more sens, but soundsgoodstereo assembles and installs in their f150 and tunes before shipping. Confident they can get the most out of it vs me lol :) they were unequivocal that cheaper 3 way options vs even higher end 2 way would be the way to go.

I’ve also read on diymobileaudio it can be easier to tune as the voices etc are already above the dash on 3 way with a mid. It makes sense to me too that having dedicated midbass will give more kick which I love.

But the cost… is high for those awesome a pillars.

Oh and pics of the 4 8s! What amps and setup? The bass is the best part for me, but not going full ground pounder here to try and keep my brand new truck from beating itself to death lol.

Gibsonm21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I was tuning this would make more sens, but soundsgoodstereo assembles and installs in their f150 and tunes before shipping. Confident they can get the most out of it vs me lol :) they were unequivocal that cheaper 3 way options vs even higher end 2 way would be the way to go.

I’ve also read on diymobileaudio it can be easier to tune as the voices etc are already above the dash on 3 way with a mid. It makes sense to me too that having dedicated midbass will give more kick which I love.

But the cost… is high for those awesome a pillars.

Oh and pics of the 4 8s! What amps and setup? The bass is the best part for me, but not going full ground pounder here to try and keep my brand new truck from beating itself to death lol.
Yea, I unequivocally disagree w/ their take, but you'll be good either way.

Attachments

• 20221030_134008.jpg
    20221030_134008.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210727_174913.jpg
    20210727_174913.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20221112_094748.jpg
    20221112_094748.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220731_150534.jpg
    20220731_150534.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
rlj676

rlj676

Reaction score
You have a seat lift? I’m sure that 1k each on those 4 8s will get down. I am hoping to get my fix off 1800watts, which should be enough for 99% of my use. I was ok with 1 10 on 2k and a big ported box, the 6.5s have more area than that 1 10 so should be pretty stout with minimal space under seat used.

Ive never had an active setup so want to see what the fuss is all about.

Audio Frog seems to be the go to at diymobile, would expect them to sound great.

Too many options out there and so hard to know what will sound good in any particular setup as a board in a shop is useless compared to a car. That is part of the beauty in going with a shop who’s done countless f150s and been refining the box and their tunes.

cdiddy4224

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement! I am doing full sound deadening, just using their tiles and damplifier I have laying around (might order some more). I can’t wait to hear a proper setup as I enjoyed just raw passive components before haha. However I did no critical listening expecting a soundstage or imaging.

How do you like the Flax? I keep thinking I should move up from the gladen RS as I hate stamped baskets and the mid which will be visible is a paper cone. It’s mostly shallow asthetics but will bother me. To have this much money in and those two features will bother me I think.

Looks like Gladen has a zero pro like in between RS and aerospace I need to check into.
I like the Flax's. No where near as harsh as some previous Focal speakers I had. I had Morel's before these, and they were a bit tame, but I was also running passive.

I also had a custom sub enclosure built with 2 10" audiombile subs. No seat lift and my installer even added storage to the box so I have some underseat storage. Better to buy once and cry once. Never liked the idea of taking out seats, opening doors panels again and again. That's how you get rattles

OP
OP
rlj676

rlj676

Reaction score
I am definitely not a fan of removing interior parts, never goes back feeling sturdy to me. So I want to only do it once for sure.

Storage and a box sounds pretty cool.

I have two kid seats still for years so I can’t lift the seat anyways, why not use all that space lol. I have a box in the bed for all the misc junk.

Gibsonm21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have a seat lift? I’m sure that 1k each on those 4 8s will get down. I am hoping to get my fix off 1800watts, which should be enough for 99% of my use. I was ok with 1 10 on 2k and a big ported box, the 6.5s have more area than that 1 10 so should be pretty stout with minimal space under seat used.

Ive never had an active setup so want to see what the fuss is all about.

Audio Frog seems to be the go to at diymobile, would expect them to sound great.

Too many options out there and so hard to know what will sound good in any particular setup as a board in a shop is useless compared to a car. That is part of the beauty in going with a shop who’s done countless f150s and been refining the box and their tunes.
3" Seat lift.

Gibsonm21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have two kid seats still for years so I can’t lift the seat anyways, why not use all that space lol. I have a box in the bed for all the misc junk.
Says who? Lol. I'm about to put 2 more of the fwd facing seats in. Now an adult over 5'10 will be tight lol

Attachments

• 20220821_093738.jpg
    20220821_093738.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
rlj676

rlj676

Reaction score
Says who? Lol. I'm about to put 2 more of the fwd facing seats in. Now an adult over 5'10 will be tight lol
I meant can’t flip it up lol. So my plastic underseat storage tray is useless already and might as well put a box there.

I think the 4 6.5 box will get it done for me, but something like your setup would be next step. If I need MORE lol.