GEN 2 Metra A2B Interface?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2F150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t trust the Audison guys lol. Those processors aren’t worth much.
Ha! Can’t beat the price point and features of the alpine.

My biggest headache will be making fiberglass pods for the dash. Most of my material arrived.

I went to 3 well known installers and nobody want to touch my install. It seems most of the money is in product sales not labor. I said screw it il do it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha! Can’t beat the price point and features of the alpine.

My biggest headache will be making fiberglass pods for the dash. Most of my material arrived.

I went to 3 well known installers and nobody want to touch my install. It seems most of the money is in product sales not labor. I said screw it il do it myself.

I think the install might be a more complicated than it needs to be which is why installers won’t touch it because they know they will have problems making it work properly and sound right.

The alpine processor/ amp you have says nothing about center channel processing. And I don’t quite understand the desire to keep the center since what the zen will put is out is only going to be a blend of left and right. Neither the zen nor your alpine dsp support true up-mixing. A blend is not a true center. The center that comes oem is only there to compensate for the low power output of the oem amp. Once you upgrade, the blended center is crap. Excuse my language. Having a 3 way front stage with a blended left and right center is going to create a wall effect. That isn’t going to sound good.

You need to reevaluate your system and simplify it. Once you properly time align, the chimes and phone will sound as if there is a center channel present.

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In other words, forget the center!

CH 1-2 Tweets
Ch 3-4 Mids
Ch 5-6 MidBass
Ch 7-8 Rear
Ch 9-10 Sub

2F150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the install might be a more complicated than it needs to be which is why installers won’t touch it because they know they will have problems making it work properly and sound right.

The alpine processor/ amp you have says nothing about center channel processing. And I don’t quite understand the desire to keep the center since what the zen will put is out is only going to be a blend of left and right. Neither the zen nor your alpine dsp support true up-mixing. A blend is not a true center. The center that comes oem is only there to compensate for the low power output of the oem amp. Once you upgrade, the blended center is crap. Excuse my language. Having a 3 way front stage with a blended left and right center is going to create a wall effect. That isn’t going to sound good.

You need to reevaluate your system and simplify it. Once you properly time align, the chimes and phone will sound as if there is a center channel present.

No processing or mixing will be done with alpine for center channel for nav. It’s just pass through. I think your missing the fundamental features of the zen. Zen handles the notifications and chooses what channel to use. Channel for notifications is user selectable. Using optical out will only let you use 2 channels but analog out from zen lets you use all channels. Using center output from zen the signal will go straight to the speaker via alpine.

It’s a straightforward install and these guys do lots of raptors. The problem I had was the speaker install location and opinions from the installers. I’d have to babysit. Not paying for that.

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fully understand the fundamentals of the Zen. My point is, you are complicating your install by maintaining the center channel when, if you properly time align and tune, you will not be able to differentiate between left and right because a true acoustical center image will exist. But you have the freedom to test as you will. All I am trying to do is save you some work and allow for a cleaner install. I've been there, done that.

Last edited:

2F150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong, you have more experience with these trucks. This is why I keep picking your brain. I am thankful for your responses. I’ll make sure to post once it’s set up. Who knows maybe I’ll end up running it like you said, less center channel.

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong, you have more experience with these trucks. This is why I keep picking your brain. I am thankful for your responses. I’ll make sure to post once it’s set up. Who knows maybe I’ll end up running it like you said, less center channel.

Sweet! Looking forward to your build! I’ve always been interested in tru amps but damn they can get expensive!!!!

2F150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet! Looking forward to your build! I’ve always been interested in tru amps but damn they can get expensive!!!!
Hey bro! I have a question about the zen. Did you use a relay for amplifier turn on with your amps/proc? I have a change of plans for the tru amps in case you are still interested.

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey bro! I have a question about the zen. Did you use a relay for amplifier turn on with your amps/proc? I have a change of plans for the tru amps in case you are still interested.

No relay. Zen remote connects to my Helix MK2. MK2 handles all remotes for my 3 amps.

I appreciate the offer. I am good on amps right now. Have quite a few home projects going on at the moment.

2F150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No relay. Zen remote connects to my Helix MK2. MK2 handles all remotes for my 3 amps.

I appreciate the offer. I am good on amps right now. Have quite a few home projects going on at the moment.

Same here no relay after looking at the pinout on the alpine. Thinking back, the last couple processors worked the same way. Good luck on your projects!