Metallic rattle from front hub area 2017 Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FTO....so whats your thoughts on capping the system though? Seems with the CV's spinning full time efficiency goes way down, and mileage too..
Due to the drag from the transfer case clutch, the front driveline components are spinning most of the time anyway; they’re just not engaged to the wheels. On non-Raptor F-150 and Expedition, the TSB for capping off the system didn’t reduce fuel economy enough to change the ratings. However, it may have on Raptor, which is possibly why it’s excluded from the TSB.

Proflyer

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the rattle go away if you press the brake slightly? I noticed my front driver wheel rattled over even tiny bumps/road seams, and has a metallic sound to it. Noticed it didn't do it if I pressed the brake slightly. Took the wheel off, and found that one of the pad retention clips was bent away just enough that it didn't hold the pad tight, and caused the rattle when I smacked the hub with a dead blow hammer. Pulled it all apart, adjusted the clip to match the other one, and it's gone away.